cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 141 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

It is being tested. I would expect a confirmation they reproduced it within a week. Due to issues they have to test it after hours so the tech is working in his own time on this.

But yes been too long but we finally have movement hopefully forward.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/04/12 7:51:59 PM
SHUBYDO61
Contributor
Message 142 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

i was having this problem but, if you check back on this link several pages i found an excellant fix for this problem.

the fix i found was to completly remove McAfee from my computer and from the computers of all my friends and co workers and either, like in my case i installed bittdefender on two of my computers and trend on the other, but on some friends computers they just wanted a free one like microsoft essential, or avast. that is how we fixed McAfee's problem and none of us have regretted it. I hope that you find your fix for this problem that has been going on since atleast the june 2011 update.

again if you stay with McAfee Good Luck to you.

as for the swift kick to McAfee's patootie it might be better to just give them a boot to the wallet and spread the word about the great McAfee product.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 143 of 186

Anything new on this? Based on the number of varied users (all using XP) , there is a definite issue in the software.

Peacekeeper
Message 144 of 186

There is a clash but there is not the call volume to trip this over to urgent. the tech has been off and said today in our call that he will try to repro this tonight. I will keep you updated.

johnpt
Former Member
Message 145 of 186

This week my ISP here in the UK (Orange) had a major broadband outage and I had to use dial-up as my back-up.

But - As you all know - Only possible with McAfee turned off.

So I have now done the deed and cancelled my auto renewal of McAfee my long term provider for several syatems.

Almost 12 months is just too long for any fix even if we are a small group.

I will now purchase a different system.

And this has also made me realise how much cheaper others are. It's the old problem of suppliers taking advantage of auto renewal subscriptions.

JohnPT

SHUBYDO61
Contributor
Message 146 of 186

another smart person dropping McAfee for a better and cheaper anti virus program.

congradulations on the change.

i myself went to bitdefender on my main computer and trend on both of my lap tops with no problems on any of them.

i have also heard good things about microsoft essentials, which is free.

Peacekeeper
Message 147 of 186

They did a dialup test using the account 1 users here gave and it worked. So

1. Any1 got a picture of the bsod that is different than post 11's or is this the normal bsod you see??

2. any1 willing to get dumps etc and send them to Mcafee  on a dvd?

Mcafee will tell you what  dumps to do and arrange free postage?

Has any1 actually reinstalled the OS recently and still getting this? Asking to remove any issue that could be from  an OS issue clashing with Mcafee.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/04/12 6:58:42 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/04/12 7:01:44 AM
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 148 of 186

Peacekeeper wrote:

Has any1 actually reinstalled the OS recently and still getting this? Asking to remove any issue that could be from  an OS issue clashing with Mcafee.

I doubt anyone on dialup would have done an OS reinstall as that would take quite a long time with all of the Windows updates to install as well as the 11+ hours to reinstall McAfee. What is puzzling is that all of the dialup users had crashes at the same point in the connect process (handshaking with the ISP) following the upgrade from the 2010 to 2011 version. Yet , the test system shows no issues. There has to be something different with the test system versus the user's systems. 

What I found that works to connect for both CompuServe 2000 and the Dialer as well as Juno is to run AOL first. AOL must be doing something different that the other ISP front end software.

Peacekeeper
Message 149 of 186

I know hard to work with and reinstall nearly impossible. been 12 years since I was on Dialup so memory of it dims.

I do not suppose you interested in trying to produce the test logs etc they are wanting someone to do. I know big ask.

Will pass your comments onto the guy trying to repro this.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/04/12 6:33:07 AM
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 150 of 186

Peacekeeper wrote:

I do not suppose you interested in trying to produce the test logs etc they are wanting someone to do. I know big ask.

Will pass your comments onto the guy trying to repro this.

I would love to help with the logs , but the DVD drive on the system is read only as I recall. I can write to a CD on the other drive.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community