cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHUBYDO61
Contributor
Message 71 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

still waiting for McAfee to refund my money that I wasted on their garbage software. If you follow this thread it sounds like a great case for the better business bureau and a class action law suit against McAfee.

So again WHERE IS MY REFUND??

johnpt
Former Member
Message 72 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

My problem is #1 the BSOD just after dial up connection as data starts to transmit.

McAfee have had details of this problem for two months and in my case they down loaded detailed logs from my computer and said there would be a fixing patch issued as part of their normal updating process.

But why so long to find and correct a problem which they know was cause by their own update sometime around June / July.

If McAfee can't get this sorted imagine what would happen if a similar issue occured on Cable / Broadband.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 73 of 186

SHUBYDO61,

Sorry for the bitter experience that had happened here;  provided , please be informed that we are in the process of finding out the reason for this compatibility issue  . It might be even a conflict that’s caused due to a dialer or anything else. Regarding the refund , kindly let us know the service number that you received while you contacted McAfee support for a refund so that I can check and get back to you .

Regards,

mgenthner
Contributor
Message 74 of 186

Well, I guess I'll pile on here.

I have a Dell laptop, Windows XP Home Edition, SP3 -- about 3 yrs old. The laptop came with a McAfee subscription and I've kept it up to date, faithfully.  Sometime in early September 2011, I found myself unable to connect to my ISP's network.  The modem would dial the access number, the handshake would commence but when I got the "Registering your computer on the network" message, the system would freeze solid. No mouse, no keyboard. Only a hard shut-down would allow me to regain control.  As an experiment, I let it sit for a few minutes a couple of times to see whether the problem would resolve itself, but it never did.

Not knowing where to start, I took my laptop to the office (I never had a problem gaining web access via wireless) and spent many hours looking for clues as to what my problem might be. I checked out a few leads that seemed promising but they all wound up being dead ends. Next, I called my ISP and talked to the tech there who said (no surprise), "it isn't our problem" and suggested that the freeze-up indicated a hardware problem. He did not want to hear that my laptop's Modem Diagnostic Tool reported no problem with the modem. But clearly, they weren't going to help me.

In desperation, I bought a USB modem ($25, thank you) and tried that. No dice. Next, I called Dell's tech support line and after an hour on the phone to India (?), the tech told me that he could likely spend all day on the phone with me and we would still not find the source of the problem (I think he was being honest).

Finally, in desperation, I did a system restore back to Aug. 25 -- before the problem manifested itself -- and low and behold, what do I find? I CAN ONCE AGAIN DIAL IN TO MY ISP'S NETWORK!!!  But, simultaneously, I notice that McAfee Security Center is warning that my security software isn't working properly and needs attention.  Hmmmmmmmm....

So, I think to myself, "Do we have a smoking gun here?"

Yesterday, I brought the laptop to the office and uninstalled McAfee through the Control Panel and ran McAfee's clean up tool (MCPR). I then reinstalled my McAfee Security Center software via my log-in account and got everything updated. Then, I took the laptop home last night and tried to dial into my ISP's network.  Well, guess what?  Several attempts to dial in to my ISP produced the same old result -- a system freeze when "Registering your computer on the network."

So, I fired up the computer and opened Control Panel. First, I uninstalled McAfee's Site Advisor, leaving the Security Center intact. Again, I tried dialing into the ISP. No dice. The laptop froze again.  I restarted and uninstalled Security Center and after restarting, IMMEDIATELY, tried dialing into my ISP's network. BINGO!!!! NO PROBLEM!

So, McAfee is locking up my computer when trying to dial into my ISP's network.  I understand that my ISP may share some culpability but McAfee is primarily at fault. For the record, early on, I tried signing up with MSN's dial up service just to see whether I could hang something around my ISP's neck and I ran into the same issue -- the computer froze before signing me into MSN.

So, McAfee -- Sirs/Madams -- it seems as though you have a problem.

Message was edited by: mgenthner on 10/4/11 8:47:31 AM CDT
johnpt
Former Member
Message 75 of 186

Mgenthner

I think McAfee Corp. may have invested in a maker of USB modems just before all this started?? I like you purchased one (UK£38) hoping that it was a hardware or driver problem before realising it was McAfee.

Have you noted that I was able to dial up OK by disabling Real Time Scanning and Firewall on my McAfee Total Protection.

These disable for a chosen time period (say 15 minutes). What I have not tried is keeping the dial up open beyond the chosen time. It could be that it will contine to work once the initial contact is made?

Like you I can also use a Broadband (cable) connection so have been avoiding dial up.

John

mgenthner
Contributor
Message 76 of 186

johnpt,

I should have mentioned that I tried temporarily disabling both Real Time Scanning and the Firewall via the Security Center but to no avail. Only when I uninstalled the software, could I establish a dial-up connection. This REALLY stinks.

BTW, I only have use of broadband at my office. At home, I have only the dial-up option, so I am determined to resolve this even if it means dumping McAfee for a competing product (subscription or no subscription).

Thanks for your reply!

SHUBYDO61
Contributor
Message 77 of 186

I do not have a service number because McAfee will not stand behind their product enough to offer refunds for garbage.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 78 of 186

McAfee does have a refund policy. There's a document about it at http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=CS40107&lc=1033 which contains a couple of options for you to try if you wish :

please contact one of our customer service representatives at our Customer Service Homepage:

Chat: http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=CHAT

Phone: http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=PHONE

You're not going to get a refund by posting to the Community Forums, I'm afraid. Bit of a waste of time.

johnpt
Former Member
Message 79 of 186

Dinz

What is happening? Things have gone very quiet. Any news of the promised patch?

John

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 80 of 186

Hi johnpt,

We have sent you with an email requesting for more information , can you please let know if you have received it .

Regards

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community