cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
momshelper
Contributor
Message 1 of 186

BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

-    Order #:

-    Service Request #: 710110786

-    Created Date: 07/06/2011 09:59:13

-    Description: We use netzero dialup service to access the internet.  We have problem with your product and our computer when trying to sign on.  We go through the connection sequence with netzero. After our modem connects with netzeros, it verifys the name and password and then allows the connection if all goes as normal.  But all does not go normal.  At the point where we would normally gain access to the internet, the computer shuts down WindowsXP and presents the BSOD.  I shut down the computer and restart.  I then fire up the task manager.  I then fight to shut down all the Mcafee services that are running.  When this is accomplished i quickly fire up Netzero and connect to the internet successfully.  So it seems to be some problem with your product.  How do we fix this???

185 Replies
Bins384
Former Member
Message 2 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

Hi,

There has been no compatibility issues identified so far with Netzero, however, an incompatibility has been identified in VirusScan when using software from PeoplePC. You may have no Internet access after the installation or you may get a fatal error (Blue Screen).

Since the outcome is the same, please try the follwing steps.

Note: You will need an unzipping program (such as Winzip from http://www.winzip.com) to extract the update files, and to find instructions on unzipping.

1. Download http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mfehidk.zip.
  2. Right-click mfehidk.zip and extract it to c:\program files\mcafee\virusscan.
  3. Click Start, Run, type cmd, and press ENTER.
  4. Type cd c:\progra~1\mcafee\virusscan and press ENTER.
  5. Type mfehidin.exe -i mfehidk.sys and press ENTER.
  6. Close the command console.
  7. Restart the computer.
  8. Connect to the Internet using the Netzero software.

Note: You can Verify that the update is installed by checking the version of mfehidk.sys in the c:\windows\system32\drivers folder. After the update, the correct version should be 13.2.0.169 or later.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 3 of 186

Re: BSOD when connecting to internet using dial-up services (yes some people still do this)

Is this the same issue that causes the following in dialup in both CompuServe and Juno:

- The connection process goes part way and then freezes (crashes) the system when you start from the CS or Juno front ends. However , if you open AOL first , close it , then connect with either CS or Juno , all works just fine.

Per a Tier 2 tech , the problem is in the Firewall.

momshelper
Contributor
Message 4 of 186

But the computer is not running any PeoplePC software.  So how will this help?  Anybody else have a solution?  Why does the problem go away when I shut down McAfee?

Is there a faster more convienant way to shut down McAffee then using the Task Manager?

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 186

jmckee may be right, the problem could be with the firewall. You have disabled the Windows firewall? Having both Windows and McAfee firewalls in operation would cause problems.

There is a page of firewall advice on the NetZero site at http://help.netzero.net/support/info/firewall-adj.html - slightly out of date, as it refers to XP SP2, but maybe useful.

It would help if you could give some information about your OS (XP - version?), and which McAfee product and version you have.

Have you tried the NetZero Support page at http://help.netzero.net/support/supportb.html?

Edit - I should have thought of this before. If you're getting the Windows Blue Screen, then your OS is creating a minidump which can be examined to look for clues as to what is causing the BSOD. There is an excellent, and not too technical, explanation of how to do this at MajorGeeks.com :

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

If you can work through the process of interpreting the minidump you'll be able to say with some confidence which program is causing this.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 15/07/11 04:35:34 IST
bob2011
Contributor
Message 6 of 186

I was experiencing this same problem as an earthlink dial up user.

The problem persisted long enough (since May) that I essentially gave up on McAfee since I could not get any assistance. Not from these forums. Not from any McAfee tech.

I was in Best Buy and had Norton in my hand, and said to my self  "Ok, McAfee gets one last chance since it is paid for until November...". So I put Norton back on the self, went home, and started the 4 day download process one last time...

Well this time, after the dl and install McAfee does not crash my computer (BSOD) when connecting to the internet.

So they knew there was a problem, because they finally fixed it.

Their engineering either withheld the info from the techs you talk to on the phone, or the techs are instructed not to admit there is anyting wrong with their products. Either way when my supscription cycle is up, I am cancelling and going to Norton.

People (meaning almost everyone you talk to) say McAfee support stinks, and until you have an issue it is easy to figure the people saying it are whiners. Then when you have an issue, you learn they are telling the truth.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 186

Bumping this to keep it in view. Will come back asap.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 186

I wonder if the new download you got was the 2011 version ie you may have had teh 2010 version previously?

We mods know of no new fix or change added recently that could show this issue and they are honest with us re issues.

Good to see you are working now.

Help please maybe a clean up necessary but that is a big job on dial up maybe mcafee can send you a cd it has been done recently to another user.

bob2011
Contributor
Message 9 of 186

Well, here I am three weeks later, after completeing another download from McAfee and restarting, and back to the same BSOD when connecting to the internet...

I immediately uninstalled McAfee, restarted, and no more BSOD when connecting to the internet.

The issue is unquestionably caused by McAfee.

Another interesting thing: Until I uninstalled McfAfee, all 30 of my restore points (going back a month or more) were deemed unusable by Windows XP...until I uninstalled McAfee. Related to this is why does McAfee start up when I start the PC in Safe Mode...I thought only the bare essentials from the OS were supposed to start?

How do I get one of these CDs?

Message was edited by: bob2011 on 8/6/11 1:03:45 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 10 of 186

Contact Customer service in the useful links tab above . Though this BSOD is perplexing. What PC have you is it a Dell?

Asking as there is a BSOD issue with some atheros wireless network drivers but not with XP.

Ask customer service , they might try to charge you $12.50 see if you can talk them out of that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community