Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Authentication Warnings

I've been getting these "Authentication" warnings - they're not pop-ups, they over-ride a web page that I'm on.  Something about my computer is infected with a virus, etc., and to call an 800 number.  Sometimes there's audio saying I shouldn't exit the browser. 

They are bogus, it's all a scam, but I have to bring up the task manager and "end task" on my browser to get rid of it.   I get these a few times a week.  Why isn't McAfee blocking these?  Should they?  Can they?

Thanks.

16 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 17

Re: Authentication Warnings

It looks like you've clicked on something that wasn't friendly.

Scroll down this link to Free 3rd Party Tools and try Malwarebytes Free and AdwCleaner, also free.

If those don't dislodge it try Zemana and/or scroll to the bottom and follow the links for help with hijack software using Farbar.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 17

As to the question shouldn't McAfee be blocking them, well yes and no, but and there's a big but, are you using your machine in a fully protected state?  That is, do you have WebAdvisor installed in all browsers and is the antivirus always turned on?

If this is just adware then antiviruses may or may not detect them, it's a moot point as they aren't really malicious in of themselves.  Their intent can be though.

Your A/V protects against millions fo infections and is updated by thousands each day so it is working OK.

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 17

I first got something like this maybe two years ago.  And now they're more frequent. I don't think its something I clicked on, they just happen from time to time.  It appears to be the kind of thing anyone can get. 

I run Malwarebytes regularly and just ran AdwCleaner, nothing found.

I do have Web Advisor and A/V and firewall running.

I don't think the "Authentication Warning" itself is a virus or malware, it's more like a pop-up ad, only it doesn't "pop up;" instead it switches the web page that you're on to their "warning" web page.    

It is a scam, the same one that comes via a phone call from "Windows computer" and they tell you that your computer is infected with a virus, etc.  If you fall for it and give them access, they'll lock you out and force you to pay them to unlock your computer.

With these "Authentication Warnings," it's the same thing, only you wind up calling them.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 17

Don't call them!

It's hard to say where it's coming from.

Do you have any browser add-ons that are not current?

A troubleshooting using the Farbar tool and posting results as instructed at BleepingComputer forums might elicit a solution or at least some advice.

Your choice of course.    I don't think it's a virus as such but then I could be wrong.  No A/V is 100% guaranteed alas.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 17

This is not a virus, not even adware, it's a PUP. The surprise is that Malwarebytes doesn't find anything, they're extremely strict on these fake support scams.

​ can you please let us know what the phone number is you are being instructed to call? We can then work backwards and hopefully identify the infection involved and find how to get rid of it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 17

Good idea, thanks Hayton.

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Just got it again.  Phone number is 877-269-9094 and the web address is:

https://adverrd.global.ssl.fastly.net/?rsid=15a58d2badc868

Screen shot is below.   The other one I get has a red screen and there's audio.

I realized something.  This only happens when I'm in Yahoo, reading a news story, either from the main page or one from inside the headings on the top of the main page.   Not from any other web site.  I contacted Yahoo last night, gave them the details about running MB's, AdwCleaner, Firewall and A/V, and that it's only happening on Yahoo.  And their reply  was that it doesn't appear to be a Yahoo issue, but it's a virus or spyware issue on my end and I should update my A/V, yadda yadda yadda.  Even though there's a person's name attached to the email from Yahoo Customer Care, I guess it's an automated response.  When I responded, my email bounced because my case was closed.

So maybe McAfee would have better luck contacting someone inside Yahoo that would look into this. 

By the way, I use the Firefox browser, but this also happened using Internet Explorer.   Although it's happening more frequently the last couple of months.

Screenshot.jpg

steve7
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 17

I called McAfee a couple of weeks ago and they said they needed to run a VPP tool to check for spyware. I said I ran Malewarebytes and Adwcleaner, but they said VPP was different. I didn't have time for that so I called McAfee yesterday. The tech took control of my laptop and instead of running the VPP tool, opened my Firefox browswer and reset it (without allowing me to make note of my settings or add-ons). And I could have done that on my own. I didn't need him to do that.

He didn't run the VPP tool, but I still think this is a Yahoo issue and not a Firefox issue since this did happen using Internet Explorer. Although, this did start happening a lot more since Firefox 58 came out in November.

Anyway, since it's impossible to reach a human being at Yahoo about this (or Firefox), I tried explaining to the McAfee reps that since they have more clout and could, I'm sure, get through to the techs at Yahoo, that they should contact Yahoo. But they didn't understand what I was telling them. At one point a rep thought I was using a "Yahoo browser." They're not going to contact Yahoo.

I'll see if refreshing the browser fixed the issue, but either way, since this only happens while in the Yahoo web site, I think McAfee should contact Yahoo about this.

Here is another screen shot:

Screen Warning 2.jpg

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 17

@steve7, there are several points that need answering in this post. I'm looking into them now, and will come back soon-ish, once I've had a coffee top-up and done some investigation into those numbers and messages. I will only say that a FF reset is unlikely to have cured all your problems  😞 

and as for all that about VPP being some wonder-working McAfee tool ... 

https://home.mcafee.com/root/stdlandingpage.aspx?lpname=vpp_pledge

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community