cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thefox
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

Anyone seeing problem with latest update?

I have been fighting this for three days. When Mcafee updates, apparently a new release, not just an update, it requests a reboot. When my system reboots, it defaults to 4 bit color at 800 x 600. The resolution cannot be changed, and the video drivers will not reinstall, claiming no compatible hardware. Now, I installed the drivers myself and know that the hardware is there, but somethign has been changed or overwritten by this new release. The only way I have been able to correct it is to uninstall Mcafee and then do a system restore back to before the installation. Rebooting after that, I am OK until the next Mcafee "update". If I get "updated" anymore, I may have to visit a physician.

I am running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Latitude C840. I did notice that Windows recently did an update called "Software Distribution Service 3.0" which made some chages. I wonder if the Mcafee Internet Security has been tested with this update. Anyone have anything that might help?

2 Replies
yippeekaiyay
Former Member
Message 2 of 3

Re: Anyone seeing problem with latest update?

Sounds like you should report this in the following thread. Other users have reported the same issue on XP Pro machines. They might be able to help get you back on your feet temporarily. Some of the most recent posts talk in greater detail about video driver deletion or corruption.

https://community.mcafee.com/message/198846#198846

A Software Distribution Service 3.0 entry in System Restore usually means Windows Updates downloaded and installed. Everytime Windows is going to install updates, it creates a restore point. The updates for this month just came out Tuesday August 9th.

Good luck!

thefox
Former Member
Message 3 of 3

Re: Anyone seeing problem with latest update?

Thank you for the referal to the thread. It sounds a lot like what is happening. I will report it there and try some of the things that they suggest. This last update pretty much did me in as doing the system restore from the earlier point isn't helping anymore. Tech support chat was worth about what I paid for it..nothing.

I did a restore to a point before the Tuesday update, but noticed that all previous restore points had been deleted, apparently by Windows Update. Previously, I had restored to last Friday and that had worked..

Thank you again for the help.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community