cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emwebster
Former Member
Message 1 of 5

AntiVirsus Program Taken Over

My computer has been taken over by an AntiVirus Program. I have McAfee Antivirus Plus 2010 installed but does not detect anything wrong after three complete scans. I can't open any files or programs after startup and no internet connection unless I purchase this Antivirus program.  This antivirus takes over in Demo form and mandates a purchase.  It states"this AntiVirus Demo version live, please note the removal is disabled in demo form mode.  To be able to remove please purchase mimium three months $59.95".  I can not find this program in any file including cookies nor can I remove or delete the program. I am running windors XP on a Dell Vostra.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

4 Replies
catman
Former Member
Message 2 of 5

Re: AntiVirsus Program Taken Over

Try starting windows in safe mode you might be able to remove it then, you could also try to restore back to before you got the program.

teewood
Former Member
Message 3 of 5

If you do a CTRL-ALT-DEL when you boot the system you can stop the culprit processes. Under Task Manager-Processes end any processes named xxxsysguard.exe.

Do a search on 'AntiVirus Live scam' and you will find several sites, such as SoftSailor.com that list solutions. The free Malware bytes Anti-Malware software will totally get rid of the virus. 

jfrasier
Former Member
Message 4 of 5

I find it very upsetting that McAfee didn't prevent this from installing on the computer in the first place. I work in an IT dept with about 600 computers and in the last week we have had a handful of computers with this. My techs tell me it is called 'antivirus soft'. Anyway, running virusscan catches NOTHING wrong. Malwarebytes catches it and removes it but what will prevent its return?

Jane

Dinz
Former Member
Message 5 of 5

Hi,

Infections can sometimes occur silently, by visiting a website containing malicious code.  Other times, unknowingly a user can allow an infection by installing a program or plug-in, hiding malware within its code.  These programs are often disguised as free search utilities, screensavers or are even labeled as 'critical software updates'.  Even a protected PC can be made vulnerable under these circumstances.Hence the constantly-changing nature of viruses and their different variants makes 100% security impossibility, with any anti-virus software. I would recommend scanning using the stinger utility from http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ as it has database of various infections.

Regards,

Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community