Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PurpleRose
Contributor II
Message 1 of 11

Annoying & Strange Pop-Up warning

Jump to solution

Why does pop up keep coming up saying I am not protected & at risk even though I downloaded mcafee & have been using it for a long time since 2020 but my laptop was still showing this annoying pop up coming up with warnings from mcafee that i dont have protection & i could be at risk even though when i open the ap it shows its running & working & it is set to auto renew & i also have the one for up to 5 devices....I decided to close message forever clicked "dont show this again" even though it warned me about doing that too it was just getting reallt annoying & confusing me a little. I am just wondering why it was showing up all the time even though i was always signed on to mcafee & set up with total protection & auto renewal? 😕

Also the advertisement is showing it is from Mcafee so that is also a confusing part & wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Edward_Franso
Message 2 of 11

Re: Annoying & Strange Pop-Up warning

Jump to solution

Hi @PurpleRose 

Greetings from McAfee

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly follow the below steps and update us the issue status

• Disable information alerts in McAfee (Open McAfee >> Settings >> General Settings >> Information alerts)
  • Disable Sites notification on your browser (Open Browser >> Settings >> Security and Privacy >> Site Settings >> Notifications)

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Edward Franso 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Edward_Franso
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi @PurpleRose 

Greetings from McAfee

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Kindly follow the below steps and update us the issue status

• Disable information alerts in McAfee (Open McAfee >> Settings >> General Settings >> Information alerts)
  • Disable Sites notification on your browser (Open Browser >> Settings >> Security and Privacy >> Site Settings >> Notifications)

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.

Regards,
Edward Franso 

DavidKH
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

I have this same problem of popups advising me that my system is at risk and my subscription has expired. I have changed the settings as suggested and also run a virus check the popups are still appearing and the virus check identified no problems.

Your advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Are the links actually McAfee read 

https://www.mcafee.com/support/?page=shell&shell=article-view&articleId=TS103285

To see what addresses are valid. This could be a fake email trying to scam you. Do not click on the link passing the mouse over them shows what the address is.

McAfee Support 

PurpleRose
Contributor II
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution
It's not an email for me , it is a pop-up that comes on when I turn on my laptop, along with showing up every so often telling me my computer is at risk & has no protection which is really concerning & shouldn't be happening when I have paid for my subscription since 2020 & I am on auto renew & have paid for the total protection & 5 devices. I am going to try & go into the settings to disable pop-ups like it was described because I have been dealing with this for too long. My computer only has pop-ups for McAfee too its not like I have a lot of random pop ups coming up & it does look like its coming from True McAfee but I guess maybe it could be a scam too.... Anyway thanks for the help & I will try to go into settings & I will let you know if it works. Thanks so much for the help everyone.
PurpleRose
Contributor II
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution
Quick update-
Hey, so I disabled the notifications from Mcafee in settings & I will let you know if that changed anything. I am still trying to figure out the 2nd part "disabling site settings" notifications part but I will let you know if the first step was enough to stop it. Thanks.
TMK-MARINE
Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

HI,

I'm getting the same type of pop-up messages for no valid reason.

I have a license for 'TOTAL PROTECTION' which expires in December 2026.

My PC and Laptop are scanned very frequently for viruses and my McAfee report indicates 'NO VIRUSES'.  The McAfee pop-up first stated my license has expired and that I'm not protected, this is followed by YOU HAVE e.g (x9) viruses, to ultimately state I have a 'TROJAN' virus.

I have tired to complaint to McAfee via 'ONLINE CHAT' but that's not active.  I eventually managed to speak with a McAfee agent who could not resolve the problem, but assured me they would call back with an answer.  Guess what ! that never happened.

QUESTION   If you licensed software states your virus free, yet the messages from the McAfee pop-up state you have viruses; is that not possible verging on attempts of fraud ? 

If anyone else has experienced this issue, could you please advise on how it was resolved.

To say that I'm extremely angry and frustrated with this calamity is an under statement. 

PurpleRose
Contributor II
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Hey TMK - MARINE, 

I am really sorry you are going through that! 
I know firsthand how stressful it was for me when I was going through my own set of Mcafee pop-up problems! 

I don't know if this will solve your problem, however, I will copy below some information I was given by McAfee support.

Once I followed these steps it did relieve my pop-up problems. 
I hope it helps your situation too!

Greetings from McAfee

Regards,
Edward Franso 

P.S: I hope this helps you out! 

PurpleRose
Contributor II
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

I also forgot to mention that I am no expert, but it sounds like your pop-ups could also be scammer related, trying to get you to click on the pop-ups & convince you that you have a virus you don't actually have.   
I still get emails from fake McAfee, trying to tell me that my protection isn't active etc. 

If McAfee is saying it is doing scans & it isn't coming up on your McAfee app, that you have viruses, then I think it is just a scammer/fraud (like you said) & I would make sure you don't open anything sent to you or popping up (you probably already know this, just a friendly reminder). 

Hoping that makes sense. 

Grayp24
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

Hi there - I've been having this exact same issue for months now; I have confirmed that the pop-up incorrectly warning that my subscription has expired is part of the McAfee app by ending McAfee processes in Task Manager till I found the one that killed the pop-up (if I kill the McAfee app process, the pop-up is killed, so it definitely "belongs" to the app). So, to avoid any confusion; this is NOT a scammer pop-up originating from an email or website, or anything like that.

I have tried the 'Verify Subscription' option, which verifies my subscription is live (McAfee Total Protection till October 2024) but the incorrect 'subscription expired' pop-up still persists on all devices protected. I have also tried uninstalling the McAfee software (using the tools and steps advised on the McAfee website) and then re-installing the software, only to have the same issue.

My version of McAfee is a newer version so does not have options under 'General Settings' to turn off notifications, so I cannot remedy this issue in that way. It seems like the app is constantly losing sync with my active subscription status. In fact, right now I am signed-into the McAfee app and have run the 'Verify Subscription' option and yet on the main app window, it STILL thinks my subscription ended 130 days ago, whilst under 'Account' > 'My Subscription', in the same app, it shows my subscription correctly as active till October 2024. Why does the app lose sync with my subscription status almost daily at times?

Is anyone aware please of a proper fix for this incredibly frustrating issue? It is NOT a scammer pop-up, it is an issue with the McAfee app. I have joined this community in order to find a resolution.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community