cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChaosGiga
Contributor II
Message 1 of 7

Annoying McAfee popups with popup settings turned off

To whom ever decided these popups were a great idea, please reconsider and be rid of them. I am sick and tired of being in the middle of a zoom presentation for work and McAfee decides it is time for a random popup asking: "Want to activate your free VPN now?" Or "Let us check and see if your email is on the dark web." Sadly these popups occur even with all notifications turned off under general settings. Its infuriating when they constantly disrupt my work from home and my down time and the one solution your support team comes up with is to turn off notifications and that does not even work. I am beginning to think this company is wanting to force a full refund on me. I would expect ads and popups with a free version of your software, however, my version has been fully paid for over the last five plus years. This is the first year I have ever had these annoying popups and I want them gone! If anyone has any idea how to get rid of them please inform me. Otherwise I am considering a full uninstall and refund from McAfee due to their incompetence with these popups happening at the wrong moments or even existing for paid members at all.

6 Replies
Bharani_BD
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 2 of 7

Re: Annoying McAfee popups with popup settings turned off

Hi @ChaosGiga 

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. Due to the nature of this issue we have sent you a private message. Please reply with the requested details to assist you further.

Thanks & Regards
Bharanidharan S

ChaosGiga
Contributor II
Message 3 of 7

Attaching a snipped picture of one of the many annoying popups I get daily, hope you can fix this soon. Otherwise I want a full refund and I will go back to buying from retail as this is the worst experience I have ever had with McAfee ever since allowing auto-renewal. 

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 7

Open Mcafee  and click on

Gear icon (settings) Bottom Left

General settings and alerts

Informational alerts

Any option there that can be turned off to help?

ChaosGiga
Contributor II
Message 5 of 7

As stated in my original post, this was the first suggestion given to me by McAfee online support. I turned all the notifications off in the general settings, alerts, and informational alerts. I even turned off notifications for information on my PC weekly scans and the popups still occur at least five times a day.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 7

Sorry missed that.  See if the mods can add something. That popup looks informational. It is strange as I never see these.

ChaosGiga
Contributor II
Message 7 of 7

Seeing as I never heard back from you, figure I may as well update you on here. I was put in touch with someone at McAfee's home office through my workplace, and they sent me a patched update for my McAfee software. Apparently using the auto-renewal was the culprit behind the pop-ups. Basically they explained it as when it auto-renewed my subscription, for some odd reason it thought my subscription was a free trial and thus pop-ups were being allowed as is common practice with a free subscription. The patch has fixed this issue and there are no more pop-ups thank God. Anyone else whom has this issue should just get in touch with McAfee's home office for the patch to fix this. Thanks!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community