Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johne53
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Annoying McAfee popup

Jump to solution

Earlier today (on Windows 7) I innocently clicked on a web site which asked if I wanted to download McAfee antivirus (which I declined). Since then, whenever MS Edge is open, I get constant annoying popups reminding me to download McAfee (see below). I can dismiss the popup but a few seconds later it just comes back again!! So I then tried McAfee's online chat but after waiting half an hour, no-one had yet come forward to chat with....

Can anyone tell me if these are genuine McAfee popups? And if so, what on earth can I do to stop them??

Popup message:Popup message:

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johne53
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Re: Annoying McAfee popup

Jump to solution

The good news is that ieverything's been okay for the past 2 days after I found quite a simple fix... AFAICT the popups over-ride something in MS Edge's settings - so in MS Edge, I needed to click on 'Settings' and then 'Reset Settings' which thankfully removed the popups. I'd already tried uninstalling Edge and re-installing but that didn't help (presumably it just carried on using my over-ridden settings...)

I've no idea what would have gotten installed if I'd clicked on the popup - though I've a feeling it wouldn't have been anything from McAfee 😞

View solution in original post

5 Replies
cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

hello,

this is probably a fake popup and your computer is probably hit by malware.

in the popups i see left in the corner aloha-news.net

i found an article done by malwarebytes about a month ago regarding this website and for s;preading malware.

in this article it describes what this website is doing and which action you can do to remove this malware.

i also would suggest to remove cookies , cache and history in the browsers.

the blog article from malwarebytes can be found here;

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-aloha-news-net/

maybe it looks a bit overwhelming but take your time and it you do just step one using malwarebytes free i think it will be solved.

for contacting live mcafee support did you use the official link ?

https://service.mcafee.com

in the middle of the right side of the website there you can click to talk with an expert and follow the next steps.

hope this info helps you to solve this issue.

greetings

johne53
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

The good news is that ieverything's been okay for the past 2 days after I found quite a simple fix... AFAICT the popups over-ride something in MS Edge's settings - so in MS Edge, I needed to click on 'Settings' and then 'Reset Settings' which thankfully removed the popups. I'd already tried uninstalling Edge and re-installing but that didn't help (presumably it just carried on using my over-ridden settings...)

I've no idea what would have gotten installed if I'd clicked on the popup - though I've a feeling it wouldn't have been anything from McAfee 😞

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

hello,

thank you for your update and glad to hear that you found a method that could solve the problem.

in the meantime i found also an article from mcafee itself about fake popups; and how you can block them in the browser. 

here is the link;

McAfee KB - Your browser displays fake McAfee notifications (TS102999)

also mcafee itself has Malware cleaner that is a standalone product and when used you can easely remove it from the computer.

McAfee KB - McAfee Malware Cleaner: What is it? (TS102903)

Malwarebytes Free is still ai program i can recommand to use once a month to checkup your computer for malware besides the regular checkups done by the AV itself.

its installation is very simple and easy in use.

also you might consider to use a Adblock extension in the browser like Adguard extension or Adblock Plus extension.

greetings

JohnP1
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

McAfee trying to hoodwink me to resubscribe

Jump to solution

I stopped using McAfee ayear ago and switched to another, much more highly rated and altogether much better av product called TotalAV.

At the anniversary of that switch from mcafee and while the other av was still current I started getting pop up ads from McAfee which completely disrupted my use of my edge browser.

The pop up kept telling me I had 3 viruses in my pc etc etc.    and kept switching me over to the McAfee website to renew my subscription.

I fully scanned the pc with my AV 3 times and there was no virus. 

This is disgraceful and hypocrical marketing by McAfee.   I tried to use the chat service to ask them to desist but couldn't get an answer.

I am reporting McAfee to UK trading standards for misuse of the internet 

To avoid dealing with this unethical and hypothetical company use another av like totalav and adblocker and report them to the authorities if they lie that you have a virus.

An appalling company.

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Re: McAfee trying to hoodwink me to resubscribe

Jump to solution

hello,

first i want to say that i am not from mcafee but a normal av mcafee user.

reading your message;

1 when you removed the mcafee av product have you used also the MCPR tool afterwards ?

2 have you tried running Malwarebytes Free  on your computer ?

3 if such notification comes up again is it possible to post a screenshot of this so a official mcafee support can look in this further perhaps ?

maybe it is possible that it is a fake advertisement ad notification and you the earlier posts i did in this topic can be of help ?

i can understand that your are annoyed but hope the above can help you a bit

greetings

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community