Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zanaikin
Former Member
Message 201 of 358

Re: AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak

Jump to solution

Ran an update yesterday and this is definitely NOT fixed. Woke up to ClientAnalytics service draining 100% of memory and CPU capacity.

Build: 19.0.3060

Last Update: 2/2/2017

Engine version: 2878.0

Engine creation date: 2/2/2017

In any other software company I worked at, something that causes this big a memory leak would have seen a code rollback or simply disabled (since it's clearly a tertiary service anyway) until a confirmed fix is available. McAfee's inability to do even this raises a big question mark on your company's sense of responsibility towards its customer's computers and time.

Even your company's IT service staff wasn't told, as I chatted with them today and they asked for me to reinstall McAfee. Ha-ha. No, I will not see my computer stopped for the next 10 hours.

I can only assume that your managers / tech leads are (clearly) not taking this seriously because the average consumer would blame their Chrome browser for freezing, or their router/ISP for losing internet access. The clientanalytics service isn't even labelled McAfee like all the other services, which means it takes a few steps to trace the responsibility down.

I also find it dubious that catdaddy cannot seem to give a legitimate explanation for what this service actually does despite many previous requests in this thread.

Posted many pages ahead the service is a reporting service of the health of the installed Mcafee software. PK

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 202 of 358

Jump to solution

While I can appreciate your frustration and your input is invaluable. ..In regards to your (Last) comment directed towards me personally.  I will recommend that you read this thread I posted much earlier on in this Gigantic Discussion;    Please do not (Shoot the Messenger).

All the very Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
zanaikin
Former Member
Message 203 of 358

Jump to solution

Ah, my apologies. I should have said "McAfee's moderators" rather than state a specific name. As it is your company's behavior on this that I find rather hard to excuse right now... since I've been an engineer who works with service teams to diagnose/fix issues in several companies and knows we would not have found this acceptable.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 204 of 358

Jump to solution

Thank you   As we respond to 100,s of threads on a daily basis, in a attempt to answer Customer questions.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
windymiller
Contributor
Message 205 of 358

Jump to solution

adiv, I had exactly the same problem as you yesterday.  I couldn't stop the ClientAnalytics Service even after a cold reboot.  I ended up turning off the laptop by holding down the power button.  Not sure if that made a difference, or if it was just coincidence, but when I started up again, and went straight into the services screen, the ClientAnalytics services was showing as not running and Manual. Within a few seconds it went to Running / Manual, but I was able to stop it. A few seconds later it went *back* to Running, but I could stop it again, and I then changed it from Manual to Disabled.  That was yesterday lunchtime, and it's been ok since then.

The first day I saw this problem (last Monday), I tried & failed to uninstall McAfee - it just hung after I clicked on uninstall in the Programs & Features list.  I ended up running an old version of MCPR.exe, which I know you're only supposed to run *after* a proper uninstall, but it seemed to do the trick for me.

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 206 of 358

Jump to solution

I would request you to please contact support one more time. We do have a fix for the reported issue that has been validated by few community customers as well. Please share the service request number for your chat interaction with McAfee Support. Thank you.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
olegr
Former Member
Message 207 of 358

Jump to solution

Dear sanjay,

Could you please notify us about progress in fixing the issue?

According to the message #200 from zanaikin, engine version 2878.0 does not fix the problem. The same revision I see in my computer.

I am ready to test new versions myself, but you need to provide appropriate info for the tests.

Would you like to get a return from community, please start to do something to get the return.

Peacekeeper
Message 208 of 358

Jump to solution

A few pages back DougK_t3 mentioned the AV engine and component is not what this fix affects so no way to tell if you have the update yet.

The Client Analytics function has nothing to do with the Anti-Virus engine.

imagika
Former Member
Message 209 of 358

Jump to solution

Ok i just got a update at about 6:35pm EST.  My whole UI had to restart and i checked the analytics folder and it showed that it was also modified at that time. I had it disabled but after the update it re-enabled it. I have opened about 10 browser windows of sites that previous would make it climb to way over 300 in about a couple minutes.  It has not jumped over 9.6MB so far.  So as it appears. It looks like its fixed.  I will update further if something goes wrong.  But after update if you check the C:\Programfiles\commonfiles\mcafee\clientanalytics folder and it shows that it was modfied at the same time of update you've probally got the one i just got.  Will keep informed if something goes wrong

user_146575
Former Member
Message 210 of 358

Jump to solution

i just installed macafee back on my computer and got no updae on teh Analytics SDK thing.  In fact, i dont even have a McAfee icon to open the program and just have one for virtula technician,  which doesnt work.  im very frustrated. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community