Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
teapot
Contributor
Message 121 of 358

Re: AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak

Jump to solution

How do I get rid of this update process installed under a local user directory (why it got put there is beyond me) so I can even reinstall "clean"?   See post #111.

I'd just disable it but am sure that will mess up something else down the road....

skeown
Contributor
Message 122 of 358

Jump to solution

I too am willing to try the new executable.  If you do want me to test it let me know if you want me to do log collection before and after to confirm.  I've still got the log collector ready to go from my setup with Sanjay

olegr
Former Member
Message 123 of 358

Jump to solution

Let me join your sad community.)

May be it is a little late and the help is on its way, but I still experience with the same problem as my comrades at this thread. I fight this problem for about a week for now. My system is

HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF

Windows 10 Pro x64

Intel i5-2500 3.3GHz

HDD SATA 3.0

Maximum about 40% of 12GB RAM used

Symptoms: both Chrome and IE/Edge periodically hangs.

I believe that the problem started on or before 01/18/2017. It was a message required PC reboot after Windows update. I did it and after about 5 minutes my Chrome hangs with the message like "Application does not respond". I tried to close the application and Windows message appears "Trying to solve the problem". After about 2 minutes nothing happens and I cancel the dialog. (BTW, actually Windows can solve the problem, but it takes about 5 minutes. I discovered it just recently.)

Believe me, I tried everything. My system is not new and I could suspect everything. I replaced RAM, HD and reinstall Windows to run clean PC. I checked RAM, HDD, coolers and processor with proper utilities. Actually I just made things worse. On clean PC with just Chrome and McAfee installed, my Chrome hangs every 5 minutes. If I reduce RAM to 8 GBytes, run time increased to hours. Uninstalling Chrome and/or WebAdvisor does not help. IE/Edge hangs about same way as Chrome. But uninstalling McAfee helps. I used my system two days with just Windows Defender without any issue. I install and uninstall McAfee about three-four times and I see the same picture: with McAfee my Chrome/IE/Edge hangs, with no McAfee they work fine.

So, my conclusion (I am a system software engineer with 25+ years experience in Windows):

1. The problem is related only to McAfee software.

2. It may be an issue with memory leak in ClientAnalyticsService, but I do not believe it is the major problem. Yes, the process takes a lot of RAM, but my browser hangs while more than 50% of RAM is free.

3. The most probable, the problem is related to ClientAnalyticsService, according to the previous messages. I also noticed in Windows Event Viewer that ClientAnalyticsService appears just before my browser hangs.

4. The problem may be related to recent Windows update, which affects just some systems (I scanned Internet for the problem mention).

Peacekeeper
Message 124 of 358

Jump to solution

That is what Mcafee has acknowledged and they have a fix they will be trialing soon. I assume you have 14.0.R12 that is the 1 with the issue I understand. Funny my son's PC I am cleaning up has same version and his file is 2.9Mb memory use.

We will Get an upfate in our moderator call next monday unless the tech posts back here

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 125 of 358

Jump to solution

Update on the fix:

I've just been told by Dev that they will indeed give us the hotfix I requested. 

I've asked Selvan and Sanjay to reach out to the people below as soon as the hotfix is available (I'm hoping that will be today).  Please allow them to remote to your system to install the hotfix.

1. @csmicfool
  2. @germc
  3. @cap'n_awesome
  4. @skeown

Of course, we're asking you to monitor memory consumption and report the results.

After we've worked with these four, we will assess their results and move forward from there. 

user_146575
Former Member
Message 126 of 358

Jump to solution

I was told to do a complete unisntall, which i did, and then restart the computer and reinstall it as "custom" but i did not get an optio nto do a custom installing of Macfee total protection  it seems the computer is just installing the whole thing now.  what should i do and is that fix available yet?

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 127 of 358

Jump to solution

They are intending on testing the (Fix) as soon as Devs release it to the Technicians/Engineers. Until then please follow these suggestions;

The best workaround to stop this behaviour is to turn off/disable the Client Analytics Service that I believe was referenced much earlier in this thread.

To do this,

1. open services.msc
  2. find "ClientAnalyticsService" in the list.
  3. double-click to open the properties
  4. in the Startup type drop down list, select Disabled

Update on the fix:

Dev has a "Proof of Concept" fix in the form of a new executable that is currently being tested.  I've been asking to get a copy of this for anyone on this thread who would be willing to try it - I'll keep you updated if/when I can get that for you.

Meanwhile, *is* anyone here interested in trying out this new executable?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
imagika
Former Member
Message 128 of 358

Jump to solution

Yeah i guess i'd be willing ... It wont cause any permanent damage or anything ??

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 129 of 358

Jump to solution

You can be self-assured that it will be applied by Tier 2.5 Technicians/Engineers. Thank you for offering, for now they have (4) individuals whom they are to contact and apply the (Fix) that the Devs have created. They will apprise us all of the outcome.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 130 of 358

Jump to solution

No, there will be no damage; these 2 files are simply newer versions of existing files.  And I've insisted that they are updatable so that any future versions will automatically update/overwrite these versions.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community