Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skeown
Contributor
Message 61 of 358

Re: AnalyticsSDK process and possible memory leak

Jump to solution

I'm starting to wonder how my McAfee subscription actually works.  Why the same product installed on two different PCs would have such vastly different version numbers is strange to me.  Perhaps I installed slightly different components?  However, shouldn't the check for updates keep them updated to be the same? I also find it interesting that the overall package number doesn't necessarily mean I have the latest version of everything.  ie) Security Center.  Either way that isn't the issue being discussed here, but if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it.

Here are my two machines side by side

Windows 10 EDU 10.0.14393Windows 10 Pro 10.0.14393
Total Protection15.1 R014.0 R12
Security Center15.1.15615.3.3061
VirusScan19.1.506VS/AV 19.0.3060
Personal Firewall16.0.11316.0.3026
WebAdvisor4.0.4.2094.0.4.206
Quick Clean/Shred15.0.12115.0.3033
Vulnerability Scan5.1.1085.0.3056
Memory8GB12GB
Processorintel i3intel i7
Bits6464
Primary OS DiskSSD Samsung 850 EVOSSD Samsung 850 EVO
Highest % of RAMIssue not seen here21% to this process... 95%+ to machine
SymptomsNoneMemory seems to increase on web access
Also can see an increase just by doing a
"Check for updates" within McAfee

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 62 of 358

Jump to solution

The only Version/Build that is available on Retail now, is 14.0 R12. Hopefully the 15.1 R0/15.1.156 Version/Build will once again be throttled out once again soon. It is presently being 'Enhanced'

Hope this helps...

All the Best,

Cliff/CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dlinch
Former Member
Message 63 of 358

Jump to solution
  • Operating System: W10 Home
  • Processor manufacturer: Intel (R) Core (TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
  • Bit level- 64
  • Hard disk type (HDD or SSD or Hybrid) - Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120 GB
  • Highest % of RAM used (The peak value noticed): Highest I have seen is 1.6 gig out of 16 total.
  • McAfee LiveSafe v 14.0, release name, 14.0 R12,
  • McAfee Security Center v 15.3, build 15.3.3061, Affld- 0, Last update- 1/10/17
  • McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-spyware: 19.0
  • McAfee Personal Firewall: 16.0, build, 16.0.3026, last update 1/10/2017
  • McAfee WebAdvisor: v 4.0 , build- 4.0.4.206
  • McAfee Anti-spam v 16.0, build- 16.0.3035, last update 1/10/17, content v 5916, content update: 1/11/2017 3:24:14 PM, engine version- 3.0.0.429
  • McAfee Parental Controls- v 17, build 17.0.3038, last update 1/10/17
  • McAffee QuickClean and Shredder- v 15.0, build 15.0.3033, last update 1/10/17
  • McAfee Vulnerability Scanner v 5.0, build 5.0.3053, last update 1/10/17
  • Symptoms of the issue (Whether occurs during web browsing or any other action that triggers the issue): Issue started occurring approx eight days ago. AnalyticsSDK/ ClientAlanlyticsService memory usage increases with both Chrome and IE use. It does not increase with any other internet usage. Once it gets about/above 300 MB, both Chrome and IE lock up. In addition, I get DCed from other online programs I am using. I left the four Chrome tabs open last night (Chrome had frozen) for approx seven hours. When I got up this morning, Chrome was working with Analytics at approx 1.6 GB where it stayed all day. After getting home this afternoon, Analytics was still at 1.6 GB. Chrome worked for a short period then froze.
  • When the browser freezes, other programs become less functional: unable to open chrome, IE opens but unable to access the internet, McAffee LiveSafe opens, but unable to perform any functions.
  • Upon closing Analytics or rebooting, full access is restored but any Chrome or IE usage induces a climb in Analytics memory usage again.
  • Shutting off the Livesafe firewall eventually (~10 mins) shuts down Analytics (ie Analytics no longer visible in Task Manager). 
  • Three other systems on my home lan running similar specs (W10 Home and Livesafe) do not have any issues. Please let me know if you want the specs of the other machines.
lotty
Contributor
Message 64 of 358

Jump to solution

just a guess .. has something to do with maximizing licensing revenue .. yes its late and i am a bit jaded and cynical .. shame on me

bg_online
Former Member
Message 65 of 358

Jump to solution

I am in the same boat, but I can't even terminate the process, and even after reboot it starts at 500MB.

I even tried doing a force stop via the command line, but it tells me access is denied.

nuhairi
Contributor
Message 66 of 358

Jump to solution

So... next version do not have this problem. Wonder why we are still using old version while the antivirus still say it is up to date...

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 67 of 358

Jump to solution

Software upgrades occur at different times for different areas - this is to enable interception of new issues more easily than if everyone got it all at once. Plus many of you will be obtaining the software through a 3rd party such as your ISP, school, company or your computer maker.  Those are often delayed even more, as the 3rd party tests and sometimes re-labels it before release.

sanjay
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 68 of 358

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Private message has been sent to and for further investigation.

Cheers

Sanjay

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 69 of 358

Jump to solution

First, I want to thank you all again for providing your observations (and time).

We're working on investigating this R12 + Analytics + Chrome/Firefox issue, but it may take some effort to parse out the cause.  Certainly we'll need data to help figure out what's actually happening.

For skeown and mairaki, please "follow" Sanjay, and work with him to provide data, specifically a performance trace and verbose McAfee logs (taken *while* the issue is occurring).  The sooner the better of course, but I'll leave you and Sanjay to figure out the best time to connect.

Thanks again

nuhairi
Contributor
Message 70 of 358

Jump to solution

Seems like my McAfee Web Advisor got updated to build 209 from 206 and the issue are gone.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community