Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mel48
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

2 Issues: Getting Renew Subscription msg but it IS renewed & Activation msg too

Hello,

I installed McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 recently on my laptop - I am using Windows XP 2002 SP3. 

Issue #1:  Activation Message

I got a pop-up message from the beginning saying I needed to activate the subscription and had until the end of this month to do so.  However, in order to do this I need the product number and the person who bought the disc (who owns this laptop which I am borrowing while my pc is not operable) cannot find the product number.  Do we need to activate the product?  I thought by installing it, it is then automatically activated? 

Issue #2: Renew Subscription

Today I booted up the laptop and got another McAfee pop-up window saying my subscription has ended and needs to be renewed and I am no longer protected.  What is that about?  I just installed the product. 

Thank you,

Mel

6 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: 2 Issues: Getting Renew Subscription msg but it IS renewed & Activation msg too

Hi mel48,

The product needs to be activated as only then it would be able to communicate to McAfee servers to download the product updates . Eventually you would need the product key to get this accomplished. Please click on Useful links – Customer Service at the top of this page and get connected to our Customer service representative and they would help you get this fixed.

Regards

Message was edited by: Dinz on 7/27/11 11:27:37 AM GMT-06:00
mel48
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Re: 2 Issues: Getting Renew Subscription msg but it IS renewed & Activation msg too

Hi Dinesh,

Thank you for your response. I will heed your advice in contacting customer service.

Mel

mel48
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Hello again,  I contacted customer support and the person I spoke with told me I needed to contact the tech department and I would be charged for this based on their claim that it isn't the McAfee product but my computer.  I've no issues with my computer internet connections (which was one thing they mentioned being a possible problem) and I don' thave any other security (i.e. windows/microsoft) activated on this computer which would conflict with the McAfee.  If we need to make adjustments on our computers with our browsers or other in order to allow McAfee to work properly, then McAfee should instruct us with this at NO additional charge. 

mel48
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Ok, I think this is resolved.  I was able to go to McAfee site and log on to my account to activate the product without my product ID number (which was misplaced).  Once that was done, the expiration date was reset, and now upon opening up my security center, it is showing my computer is now protected.  That was easy and saved me from having to pay money to talk to a tech support person.  It would have been nice if the customer service person I spoke to simply told me that in activating my product on the website would be all that was needed to resolve this issue.  Now let's hope I don't start getting the renew subscription messages again.  

mel48
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Deleting post as the problem has been resolved via telephone tech support. 

Message was edited by: mel48 on 8/12/11 12:13:26 AM CDT
mel48
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

editing to delete post

Message was edited by: mel48 on 8/12/11 12:14:14 AM CDT
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community