Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mickiem
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

Uninstalling Anti-Theft

I was having a conflict between one of the Anti-Theft files (mcpvns.dll) & VirtualBox-4.1.10-76836-Win in win7 ult 64. I couldn't see a way to just uninstall Anti-Theft, & I wanted to avoid a complete remove/reinstall [I'm going to be upgrading from Total Protection 2011 -> 2012 soon & plan to do it then]. Long story short, in the process of removing Anti-Theft manually I came across a command line to uninstall it buried in the registry.  Your mileage may vary of course, back up 1st & be able to restore that backup, I'm not responsible for any sort of loss  & so on... The 2 command line strings, for 64 bit & 32 bit are:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\McAfee\Installer\mcinst.exe" /uninstall "C:\Program Files\McAfee\MAT\matmain.inf"

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mcafee\Installer\mcinst.exe" /uninstall "C:\Program Files\McAfee\MAT\matmain.inf"

I just copied/pasted them into Windows Run dialog box. Note that this runs silently, & needs a reboot to finish -- I waited until the hard drive light stopped flashing, & then checked Task Mgr to verify nothing was going on -- they seemed to work OK in both win7 64 & XP Pro 32. Beyond that if it helps anyone...

Anti-theft has 2 files that are started in the registry with WIndows, McPvTray.exe that's started by being included under the HKLM run key, & McPvDrv.sys which is a driver. Some of the files in that MAT folder are referenced in the registry as well, plus the McAfee folder where you'll find MAT is protected -- you may not rename, move, or delete the MAT folder or the files in it while running win7. Search strings I found useful removing Anti-Theft manually in win7's Regedit include: McAfee Anti-Theft, McPvNs.RootFolder, McPvDrv, AF6FB31C-95D0-4A0E-8AFE-099969D8B689, E57D5731-CD9F-4DC9-A122-60488A1EDD2E, 43FDD04B-5B10-48F8-8C4F-60C610A30090, & 759E22C1-1A18-4340-8C6A-91E50FEE5740.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community