cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dtkempii
Former Member
Message 1 of 12

Another difficult McAfee Anti-Theft v2 removal/uninstall...I don't have the installation files!

Jump to solution

I've read several other's experiences with this problem...so I'm going to try to get right to the point:  I need the installation software so that I can reinstall on Windows v8.1, and then uninstall.  The only link I see is for purchasing...which struck me as odd, since it is so far beyond eol.

Here's my situation:  I have several customer laptops running on Windows v8.1 that had McAfee AV and Anti-Theft v2 installed (When they came to us they were running on Windows 8.0, so I had performed the 8.1 update before trying to uninstall McAfee products).  I uninstalled the AV software because it was well beyond outdated, and my company uses another product for this purpose.  However, when I try to uninstall McAfee Anti-Theft through Programs and Features the screen flashes once, but the uninstall never initiates.

I did run the AT Status tool on each laptop, which told me that they weren't enrolled and never had been enrolled.  Therefore, my assumption is that the installation is broken, so I will need to reinstall before I can properly remove it.  The full version on at least one of these laptops is Anti-Theft v2.1.170.2.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Tom Kemp

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 12

Re: Another difficult McAfee Anti-Theft v2 removal/uninstall...I don't have the installation files!

Jump to solution

Yes I meant the directory C:\Program Files\McAfeeAntiTheft. Before you delete could you check for Uninstall.exe within the folder and run it as Administrator. This is a last resort to see if the Uninstall works. If not you can proceed to delete the folder. Once deleted try to uninstall from Programs list > Click OK in the corrupt warning pop-up and the entry will be gone.

Coming to the registry entries I would suggest to leave it as such since the Service un-enrolled already. These are dormant and shouldn't have any impact.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 12

Re: Another difficult McAfee Anti-Theft v2 removal/uninstall...I don't have the installation files!

Jump to solution

I will attempt to ask a Tier 2.5 Technical Engineer from Support to add to the Discussion.

​  Could you kindly assist this user?

Or alternatively you can of course contact Technical Support 24\7 at no cost.

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact

Regards,

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi Tom,

Please run the AT Status tool as an Administrator and post back the Screenshot here. I would strongly recommend not to install the setup at any cause. This is due to the fact that McAfee Anti-theft is End of Life for over a Year ago.

Status tool here

dtkempii
Former Member
Message 4 of 12

Jump to solution

One comment, then I will do as you requested:  If you read my original comment, you would note that, in my last paragraph, I stated the following:

"I did run the AT Status tool on each laptop, which told me that they weren't enrolled and never had been enrolled."

I'm sure you are following a script, as I've noted this pattern in other similar posts.  However, I would encourage you to please take the time and read our posts and understand what has already been done and what the results were before you ask your questions.  It would save us both some precious time.  It's like you don't believe me in what I'm telling you, and can seem rather rude.

That said, here are the results:

We did not unenroll these, and based on their purpose with our customer, I'm sure they were never enrolled...it was just part of a base image.

Thank you for your time and support,

Tom Kemp

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

​,

With all due respect...If I may interject here and add to the discussion. Selvan in my honest opinion was not 'Following Script'\Or being Rude, if you will. Yet making a sincere effort to assist you. He is a Tier 2.5 Technical Engineer whom out of kindness has assisted\helped (Thousands) of Users with similar\other issues.

For him to take the time to add to the discussion, as he is already inundated with other daily obligations is most appreciated by us Moderators. In other words, I personally think you may have taken his request (Out of Context).

We reply to and assist as I said..(Thousands) of customers on a daily basis. I would only hope that it is appreciated. Now I respectfully 'Digress'.

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
dtkempii
Former Member
Message 6 of 12

Jump to solution

Understood, but with do respect in return, I didn't intend any form of malice or insult, rather suggesting.  My point is the work he was asking for had already been completed and reported on in my initial statement, as it had in many others I've read here while I was attempting to find a solution.

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi

Considering the complexity of this Service (Anti-Theft) we should be careful in taking every single step forward. This is because the service would lock out your PC from BIOS level preventing further use. In order to avoid such unfavorable instances I wanted to be 100% sure about the enrollment status.

Now that the device is not enrolled you could simply delete the Anti-theft Install directory. Feel free to post back for clarifications.

dtkempii
Former Member
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Selvan,

Understood.  I do appreciate your assistance with this.  I would like to make sure I'm clear on what you are suggesting.  When you say delete the install directory, do you mean the folder to which the software was installed to? (C:\Program Files\McAfeeAntiTheft)

If I do manually delete the folder, I will also edit to delete the Programs and Features entry.  What about registry entries?

Tom Kemp

selvan
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 9 of 12

Jump to solution

Yes I meant the directory C:\Program Files\McAfeeAntiTheft. Before you delete could you check for Uninstall.exe within the folder and run it as Administrator. This is a last resort to see if the Uninstall works. If not you can proceed to delete the folder. Once deleted try to uninstall from Programs list > Click OK in the corrupt warning pop-up and the entry will be gone.

Coming to the registry entries I would suggest to leave it as such since the Service un-enrolled already. These are dormant and shouldn't have any impact.

dtkempii
Former Member
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Yes, there was, but it wouldn't run.  Same symptom as trying to uninstall from Programs and Features.  Earlier today I did a test run on one of the computers, based on what I had assumed you meant here.  I deleted the folder under Program Files.  I also edited the registry to remove McAfee Anti-Theft from the list of installed applications in Programs and Features.  That worked for me.  I also went back and deleted some other folders referencing McAfee.

I have since completed this for all of our customer's laptops.

Thank you very much for the help, Selvan!

Tom Kemp

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community