cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 11 of 38

Re: Thunderbird, Unresponsive Script due to McAfee Anti-Spam Add-On.

It must be with the Dell version as mine is fine. Of course 1 way to fix this would be uninstall Mcafee fully and use the beta version you get a few days behind in the engine sometimes but free to use.

www.beta.mcafee.com

ispalten
Former Member
Message 12 of 38

OK, I bit the bullet and uninstalled and reinstalled the Dell LS version from my account. As expected, no difference, problem persists.

Slightly different script error though?

Capture1.JPG

Might be because I was on a different tab when I enable the add-on?

As for the Beta, it shows as for a different product, Total Protection, not Live Safe, and not a Dell version? When Support installed the non-Dell version of LS on my PC I had BSOD's. Those stopped once I installed the Dell LS version. Are there beta's for Dell releases?

I'm on TB 45.2.0, and that says it is up to date. I had first reported this to Mozilla and they helped me figure out the add-on that was causing the problem, so I don't think it is TB related?

Just found this, https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/YKMtrcx7XrM/KVtARPdLCwAJ, I am NOT alone.

Found this too, http://www.solvusoft.com/en/files/error-missing-download/js/windows/mcafee-inc/mcafee-total-protecti..., although old, it points to a specific file, mail-msktbird_3.js, but I can't find it?

ispalten
Former Member
Message 13 of 38

There has to be something going on with the UPDATE process?

I've got a friend with almost the same Dell system and Dell's McAfee. Also using TB. So I used TEAMVIEWER to connect and 'test' their TB. It worked fine? Yes, the Add-On was enabled? Very odd. So I looked at their ABOUT for McAfee and specifically the Anti-Spam. Then compared it to mine:

Capture.JPG

Why are there TWO different CONTENT VERSIONS? Mine is on the left, the other PC's on the right.

I re-installed McAfee's LS (Dell version) before 8AM today, and it was updated at 10AM... why didn't I get the same Content version?

Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 38

1st what is your affid number compared to your friends? AS should have updated to 5743.

Can you run the MVT program please

MVT

note the session ID number

When you uninstalled did you do it via windows then after a reboot use MCPR the removal tool and reboot?

ispalten
Former Member
Message 15 of 38

OK, ran MVT on both PC's.

My PC Session ID is 56473770. Other PC that it works on is 56473801.

No, I did not run MCPR as I intended to re-install and didn't want to lose the settings.

Yes friend IS at 5743, while I'm not, on 5706. That is with a new install today after the uninstall no less. Also a check for updates didn't change it?

I'd really hate to have to run MCPR and lose all the settings and changes...

Peacekeeper
Message 16 of 38

Affid is not what you gave me those are content   versions. Affid in top area in about just under the Mcafee security centre version.

What settings have you  got that you do not want to lose? I assume firewall and exclusions.

Beta should run fine on a dell why yours BSODs may be the cause why you are getting this error. Just a wild thought.

Some other thoughts

1.Use disk cleanup to cleanup all temporary files

2.Have you run a scan with some other malware scanners such as Malwarebytes ( use free version not the trial of the premium).

Is javascript active in your browser?

Pointed a high level tech here

ispalten
Former Member
Message 17 of 38

"Affid is not what you gave me those are content   versions. Affid in top area in about just under the Mcafee security centre version."

Ahh, both are 977.

"What settings have you  got that you do not want to lose? I assume firewall and exclusions."

Yes, and whitelist as well as schedule scans and other defaults I've changed over time.

"Beta should run fine on a dell why yours BSODs may be the cause why you are getting this error. Just a wild thought."

Probably 2 years ago I had a problem with some part of the A/V, forgot which one. I called into support and the tech decided to delete LS and reinstall it. He pasted in to my browser a URL and proceeded to install it. 2 days later I got a BSOD (on W8 I'm pretty sure, maybe even 7?). Then another, Event Viewer showed it to be a McAfee file. I called into support again and this time the agent went to the same place but saw a link for Dell versions. Asked if I had a Dell and I said yes and took that path. Never had a BSOD again from LS. Something has to be different between the 'normal' LS and Dell's version? Odd to me as I'm sure people who own Dell's buy LS over the counter? Hence my reluctance to use a beta, and also when I bought this Dell I bought a 4 year LS license. When the Beta runs out I'd need to go back to LS anyway. The Beta is not for LS either.

Why is it that Dell has a different version? I assume it is 'late' as either Dell has to make some source code changes and have it tested or they are on a different build tree with some minor content differences?

"

Some other thoughts

1.Use disk cleanup to cleanup all temporary files

2.Have you run a scan with some other malware scanners such as Malwarebytes ( use free version not the trial of the premium).

Is javascript active in your browser?

"

1. Occasionally do, but that shouldn't be necessary.

2. Many times and I use a few too, even HiJack Hunter and review what it discovers.

Yes, it is. Verified at this site, https://www.whatismybrowser.com/detect/is-javascript-enabled.

MVT didn't seem to find any problems on either PC as well, at least from the data it collected.

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 38

OK This now past what I can do the reinstall might work but what worries me is the BSOD you got the tech would know more on this. If he has not popped in before 4PM Monday US time I will ask him about this in our moderator call tomorrow.

The beta is no time limit I have been running it on my main PC for 6 years.

Of course it has no mobile support and some other LS features that could worry you.

See what the tech says

ispalten
Former Member
Message 19 of 38

The BSOD is not an issue now. Since I put back the Dell version (a few years ago this happened) the problem went away. That is the reason I'll not put on the retail non-Dell version. Really has nothing to do with this problem.

We'll see what happens later today or tomorrow.

Right now I'm OK with the add-on disabled and no AS active in TB.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 38

I don't use Anti-Spam myself as I said earlier so really have no knowledge on this but I did once have a Dell machine and I can tell you that the bloatware they install (Dell Action Center or whatever they called it) caused similar BSOD's when it didn't like something I was doing.

I finally uninstalled everything that had a Dell name attached to it and that problem went away.  If I recall correctly I also redid the BIOS update, this time from the M/B maker's website rather than Dell.

Just a thought.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community