cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispalten
Former Member
Message 1 of 38

Thunderbird, Unresponsive Script due to McAfee Anti-Spam Add-On.

This started yesterday for me.

Capture.JPG

If I disable it

Capture1.JPG

Thunderbird operation returns to normal.

The problem occurs (with it enabled) every time TB is opened or mail is fetched. Disable the add-on, no problems.

It seems all of my LS was updated on the 20th, not just this:

Capture2.JPG

Surprised I can't see another report here. Searching the web I did see many old ones from even years ago referencing the same error but with a different JS: number at the end. The solution to those provided me with the fix of disabling the add-on, all pointed to McAfee as the cause.

37 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 38

Re: Thunderbird, Unresponsive Script due to McAfee Anti-Spam Add-On.

I don't use the Anti-Spam module nor Thunderbird so can't be a judge, but in this issue I would recommend opening a case with Technical Support, link below.

If at first they can't help, ask for escalation.

Meanwhile of course there may be others who know an answer who will spot this.

Contact Support

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 38

I would definitely contact support as Ex_Brit suggested. For there definitely by looking at your screenshot of the Build/Version. I noticed that you are not 'Current' with your (Content Version) It should be (5743) at the minimum.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
ispalten
Former Member
Message 4 of 38

​, that is the latest, for me, you may have forgot me, but I have the Dell version. As you can see, everything was updated on 7/20, although some databases are old.

Support's first line of defense is always 'reinstall', and many times I wind up with the non-Dell version and eventually I get a BSOD somewhere. Support tends not to be much help with me.

I just did a CHECK FOR UPDATES and it did find 'somethings'. Installed i,hem but Anti-Spam was not changed.

What my account shows:

Installed McAfee Apps

McAfee LiveSafe - Internet Security via Dell XPS

ispalten
Former Member
Message 5 of 38

I might call support, but they usually will do a re-install first. Many times they do not install the Dell version even if I ask them.

Right now, I'm leaving it disabled, Anti-Spam in TB (we've had long threads on this) is not reliable for me so I don't even use it.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 38

Yes I recall.  You can always tell Support to stop if you see them trying to download the wrong version.  Understood 😉

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 38

​,

Ahhhh, Yes I remember you . And yes you are indeed correct about the Affid: #, in regards to lagging behind. Hopefully they can get you sorted out.

Wishing you all the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 38

I use Thunderbird and Anti Spam It has an issue that is to be fixed soon in that emails go into the AS folder but are not shown as being there one has to open the folder to see the list and the total unread emails then shown up. OK not your issue but only current issue I see.

Yes call support but get the Dell version installed  You could uninstall it yourself and reinstall from your account.

Dell's content is way old on AS

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 38

I moved this to the actual Anti-Spam community as that's a better spot for it.

ispalten
Former Member
Message 10 of 38

​, from what I can tell I do have the latest Dell release. I know I can uninstall/reinstall the Dell version from my account, but that shouldn't make a difference I would think? Problem started on the 20th of July, the same date most of LS's components were update, so it to me means the update was the problem and that was the latest.

I've NOT been using AS in TB due to the problem you have located. I 'missed' too many emails as they went into the AS folder with no notice of messages being put there.

I'll think about calling in or trying the uninstall/reinstall, but for now I'm OK with the Add-On disabled. Not sure I was to mess with this as I am not using AS anyway?

I might do it anyway to rule out a bad update. If this one component was broken maybe others could be as well and I just have not noticed that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community