Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 21 of 109

Re: Thunderbird 3 and Mcafee spam

Jump to solution

I'll have to investigate.  If you have the subject line tagging enabled, the [SPAM] tag should still get added and you could use TB3's filtering to move the messages.

Not sure why that's not happening.

dengrove
Former Member
Message 22 of 109

Jump to solution

I did see a couple of messages marked spam but those happened to meet another Thunderbird filter so they were moved to my "junk" folder. I've seen other emails that were obviously "spam" that were not spam. But I can set up a filter to move everything marked [SPAM] into the mcafee folder and between all of these it should work. It's a good thing my work computer is still running xp and McAfee is working on that as that gets a lot more spam than my home computer running Win7. Thanks for your help.

GWE
Former Member
Message 23 of 109

Jump to solution

I asked for and received a 2 month extension on my McAfee subscription for my efforts/trouble dealing with the tier 2 support staff.  All you need to do is ask.

I realize that this in no way excuses McAfee from not having

this issue fixed but it is better than nothing.

I also wish the support staff spoke better english.  They are very hard to understand!

ispalten
Former Member
Message 24 of 109

Jump to solution

I had to completely disable the SPAM part of my 2009 suite as it was DELETING messages on me big time WITH NO warning yet. Problem was because I couldn't LOAD in TB's address book I discovered. I had moved from VIsta x64 which was installed along with the suite from my by Dell. All worked WELL until I upgraded to W7 x64. I stopped getting messages marked as [SPAM] but I really didn't care too much about that. I do have the McAfee toolbar in TB 3.0 but it doesn't do much. Show verdict does nothing. So I had a choice to make, let the Spam handler read my POP server and decide what to do, but it never marked anything [SPAM] AND as a consequense since it didn't have an address book to beat addresses against, move items from the POP server based on content. I didn't realize this was happening until I made an on-line purchase. I run another e-mail filter that gets e-mail from the POP server and I saw my receipt. Didn't bring it into TB and shutdown. The next morning, it was GONE. Asked for another copy and that too disappeared. Complained to McAfee and the e-mail filter provider that my e-mail was disapearing. McAfee connected and found the missing messages, about 2 dozen, in the filtered e-mail. Then is was discovered my address book they used was totally hosed. Never got a fix for that and they are 'working on it'. Still waiting... but that part of the suite is useless to me now.

Irv S.

loudo
Contributor
Message 25 of 109

Jump to solution

I am running Thunbderbird 3.0.3 and Vista 64 with SP 2. McAfee SPAM and Thunderbird 3.0 worked fine for me until I installed the Thunderbird 3.0.3 upgrade. I still get the McAfee tool bar and it does filter SPAM, but the manual part of it doesn't work. I can't manually tag an email as SPAM. Today I got the new update for McAfee Total Protection, and it still is not working.

nickje
Contributor
Message 26 of 109

Jump to solution

Still no support for mcafee and thunderbird 3..... I have spoken to support reps about 3 times about this and nothing gets done.

Mcafee button shows in my main toolbar, but no messages are being filtered, and only one of my many accounts has any emails marked as spam (but still sending to inbox even though Send to Mcaffee Anti-Spam folder is selected.

Seriously this has been months and I thought it would be fixed a lot lot faster.

Any news?

ispalten
Former Member
Message 27 of 109

Jump to solution

I don't think they care at all?

I still can't use the Anti-Spam at all? It will not import my Address book from Thunderbird 3. Without that, e-mail would be removed from my pop3 server without warning, and worse, no way to put it back on the server. No use for that as I did lose a few important messages.

I was on the phone with them (Phillipines I think?) for hours with them. They connected and tried many things, even switching products, and it never worked. I got calls for a few weeks letting me know they were working on it. For 2 weeks it was they couldn't reproduce it. Finally they did, and I'd get a call when it was fixed. NEVER happened...

They do NOT care.

I wonder how many people use TB 3 and even KNOW it isn't working? How many that do have Anit-Spam enabled know if a message was removed on them without knowledge? Do they check the logs and look at the e-mail quarantined?

Does this happen only on TB 3 systems upgraded to W7 or all W7 systems? Curious?

loudo
Contributor
Message 28 of 109

Jump to solution

On my system Vista w/ SP-2. It works except for I can not manually tag an email as SPAM. It worked fine until the last Thunderbird update.

GWE
Former Member
Message 29 of 109

Jump to solution

The e-mail spam filtering in TB 3 is pretty good and you can set this up in the interm. If and when McAfee fixes this issue you can use McAfee and disable the TB3 spam tools.

I was able to get a 2 month extension for my McAfee subscription as a result of the product not working in TB3.  They are quite hard to understand when you talk to them at tech support.

ispalten
Former Member
Message 30 of 109

Jump to solution

I use MailWasherPro for SPAM and to basically filter my incoming mail, so the loss of the Anti-Spam was not a big deal to me. The loss of messages because it had a 'bad' whitelist and took off valid messages from the POP3 server was the dangerous part. I didn't even realize it was happening was the worst part.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community