Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeepButi
Former Member
Message 51 of 109

Re: Thunderbird 3 and Mcafee spam

Jump to solution

Allen,

could you please explain what you suggest? I cannot understand what to do and I have been complaining about McAfee/TB incompatibility for months. According to the other thread I have (still after 9 months!!!) to wait an upgrade of McAfee.

Thks

ARMPLINKER
Former Member
Message 52 of 109

Jump to solution

Go to your list of Message Filters in TB.   They are presented in the order they will 'fire'.  Pick the one you want to fire earlier and press the 'Up' button and it will get precedence.  Be careful not to mark the [SPAM] as Junk in the filter or it will go straight to the Junk Folder.  Also, when editing the filter, make sure to pick the option 'Match Any of the Following' to match either [SPAM] or [PHISH].  Otherwise, nothing will match if you use Match All of the Following which is the TB default.

ARMPLINKER
Former Member
Message 53 of 109

Jump to solution

Move it up as much as you want.

DeepButi
Former Member
Message 54 of 109

Jump to solution

Sorry, probably we are talking about different things.

I don't have any filters on TB so I cannot move them.

McAfee anti Spam doesn't work with TB. No messages marked as Spam, no way to add friends, nothing. This is a rewcognised problem (see https://community.mcafee.com/message/137063#137063) and a solution has been pending for the last NINE months.

Thks

ARMPLINKER
Former Member
Message 55 of 109

Jump to solution

AFAICT, the McAfee Spam add-in to TB3 partially works.  It does seem to mark SPAM, and it does seem to recognize Friend emails that are hand entered, but it does not move the SPAM automatically nor does it allow import of TB contacts.   You also cannot toggle the SPAM status.  So, it is clear that the functionality is limited, perhaps to the point of uselessness.

What you can do that may sort of work to reduce SPAM is set the SPAM filtering to moderate/aggressive, then create a Message Filter in TB that looks for the magic string [SPAM]   and [PHISH] in the email subject line (this is 'OR'ed' as I mentioned before) and move the email to a designated folder (even Junk).  If you move it to Junk, you do have to decide if you want the filter to also mark the mail as junk.   Then TB3 can learn about its junk status and treat it as junk in the future....

That's about all you can do for now.

ARMPLINKER
Former Member
Message 56 of 109

Jump to solution

Oh and the McAfee Spam Settings dialog has to be accessed directly with McAfee, not  through the TB McAfee toolbar.

genewhite
Former Member
Message 57 of 109

Jump to solution

And here it is December and still no fix. Shameful. Must be a republican running this show for sure!

Gong67
Former Member
Message 58 of 109

Re: Thunderbird 3 and McAfee spam

Jump to solution

Believe it or not, the last update to McAfee AntiSpam has fixed the antispam toolbar problem for me for T'bird 3.1.6 and when I updated to 3.1.7. That is, if you select a message and use the toolbar to make it spam, McAfee marks the header as SPAM and puts it into the McAfee Anti-Spam folder, and similarly selecting a message which has been declared as spam and selecting the toolbar option to be not spam it puts it back into the Inbox minus the SPAM header. This is the way it used to work so it seems fixed.

The AntiSpam version is 11.5 build 11.5.141 updated Dec 8th.

The release notes state:

1If you install McAfee Anti-Spam before you install either the Thunderbird or Eudora email programs, you do not see the McAfee Anti-Spam toolbar. Reinstall McAfee Anti-Spam after you install your email program to see the Anti-Spam toolbar.
2An email’s digital signature breaks when you mark it as “spam” or “not spam” using the buttons on your Anti-Spam toolbar. Manually drag the email into, or out of, the McAfee Anti-Spam folder instead of using the toolbar buttons to preserve its digital signature.

McAfee Anti-Spam does not work with Microsoft Outlook 2010. Turn off the Anti-Spam toolbar from the Anti-Spam settings page if you experience problems with O

utlook 2010.

Peacekeeper
Message 59 of 109

Jump to solution

Can the rest of you (remaining) check this suggested build out and see if it does what you want. I know it has been held up a while  funny mine still at 131 build but that nornal with throttled releases.

DeepButi
Former Member
Message 60 of 109

Jump to solution

Still at 11.5.131 ... 78 days remaining to my (actually disabled) subscription renewal ... maybe McAfee will still do it on time. After all, what is a year to solve an known problem compared with the infinity of space?

(I guess there is no way to force the update without a full reinstall, right?)

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community