Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 11 of 109

Re: Thunderbird 3 and Mcafee spam

Jump to solution

Hi:

I upgraded from TB 2 to TB 3 many weeks ago on this system, and have had no problems.

I even upgraded from TB 3.0 to 3.0.1 recently and it works OK.

Perhaps the anti-spam of TB is "conflicting" with the anti-spam of MSC (in the same way that 2 AVs or 2 FWs can "conflict")?

TB 3 has pretty robust junkmail filtering (they do not use the "spam"  terminology at Mozilla), so perhaps you could try turning off the MSC spam  filter altogether.

Or you could configure TB not to junkmail filter.

2 caveats:

1) I use a 3rd-party standalone spam filter (Mailwasher Pro 6.5.3 from www.firetrust.com), so I have the anti-spam feature in MSC turned off. I have used Mailwasher Pro + Netscape/TB for years on multiple platforms (XP, VIsta, 7), and with MSC for as long as I've had this computer (> 1 year), so I know that these all play together fine.  Because I use this spam filtering app, I find it unnecessary to use either the anti-spam in MSC or the junkmail filtering in TB.

2) My MSC is OEM, not "boxed"/retail, but I think the components are the same.

Have you tried posting to the Mozilla forums? (www.forums.mozillazine.org)

Even though this may well be a "McAfee" problem, I've often found that someone on those forums is running the same combination of software/hardware I am for some "issue", and nearly always someone will reply.

You could also try www.bleepingcomputer.com

Sorry this isn't much help -- I'm no expert, just another barely literate home user.

MM

catman
Former Member
Message 12 of 109

Jump to solution

The problem was that Mcafee spam did not work with Thunderbird 3. Mcafee are working on this and I did post in Mozzila forum.

I like the Mcafee spam program and want it to work with the latest version but it has not been fixed yet.

GWE
Former Member
Message 13 of 109

Jump to solution

I was glad to find this forum.  I also just installed the Mcafee total internet security program 2010. I purchased the 3 liscense from Target.  I had Thunderbird 3.0.1 and the anti-spam icon is on the toolbar but none of the features work.  I am not able to mark things as spam/not spam, and therefore it does not go into the anti spam folder.  It does look like it is marking spam as [SPAM] but leaving it in the inbox.

I tried re-registering the dll from thunderbird and Mcafee but this did not solve the issue.(will solve other issues-let me know if you want me to list how to do this).

I tried reinstalling thunderbird and Mcafee but this did not fix the issue.  If I am reading this correctly this is a known issue to Mcafee and they are working on a fix?

The free 30 day tech support was worthless and they did not know of this issue.  It was also very hard to understand them due to their strong accent.

I had to as usual wait on hold for ever.  They also do not call you back when they say they will.  Very disappointing from a company I have come to expect better from.

Some additional info:I previously had total internet security 2009 installed and the anti-spam worked on thunderbird until I updated to version 3 at which point it no longer worked.  It would not even be in the tool bar unless I added it.  When I exited thunderbird and restarted it would again not be there until I added it.

Does anyone know when a fix is going to be available?

rwsmitreact
Former Member
Message 14 of 109

Jump to solution

Hi!

I am once again very dissappointed in McAfee, since installing Thunderbird 3, re-installing McAfee etc. etc. there is no spam filter available. Unfortunately, also the whole database of McAfee AntiSpam 'of course' dissappeared after re-installing so I gave up completely on this product. It simply can't be that a major security suite is not up to date with recent e-mail clients. It's not the first time this happens to me, also with Thunderbird 2 it took a long time before everything started working out finally. For the people here that expect a 'quick' fix for the problems regarding Thunderbird, I have the feeling I can safely say that there will be not. From now on, I will use Thunderbird's own anti-spam solution which -hopefully- in the end will not interfere with McAfee. If so, then it is once and for all goodbye to this suite. Sad, because I like this software, but I do not like the lazyness in updating important features.

Regards,

Ronald.

catman
Former Member
Message 15 of 109

Jump to solution

I think that useing Thunderbirds Junk is the only solution at the moment, they just don't seem to know when a fix will be availible.

Going back to Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 works and they are bringing out version 2.0.0.24 because so many people are having problems.

Message was edited by: catman on 11/02/10 13:41:39 GMT
dengrove
Former Member
Message 16 of 109

Jump to solution

I'm running Mcafee on WIN7 with TB3 on a 64 bit system. After 2 online chat session, a McAfee Tier 2 rep agreed via a phone call that there is a bug being worked on. I was told that the  fix to get McAfee to run with TB version 3 on Windows 7 is in the works and will be part of a McAfee update in approx 2 weeks so figure late March, early April.

Message was edited by: dengrove on 3/8/10 12:20:00 PM CST

Message was edited by: dengrove on 3/8/10 12:24:39 PM CST
ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 17 of 109

Jump to solution

Thunderbird 3 toolbar support *is* scheduled for a future release, but I don't believe that it will be available in the timeframe you were told.

That said, you still have full filtering for POP3, it's just that the toolbar won't be visible.

Message was edited by: ShawnWallace on 08/03/10 14:16:51 CST
dengrove
Former Member
Message 18 of 109

Jump to solution

Thanks Shawn but someone from McAfee was able to put the toolbar on TB 3.0.3 last week but McAfee is not working at all with TB 3. I don't mean just my ability to mark something as spam via the toolbar but McAfee is not filtering any POP3 email. In 2 weeks there has not been one message filtered by McAfee and placed in the spam filter box. I'm handling the filtering via Thunderbird by setting up message filters.

Message was edited by: dengrove on 3/8/10 2:17:19 PM CST
ShawnWallace
Former Member
Message 19 of 109

Jump to solution

Is the POP3 account on a regular port, or an SSL-encrypted port?

dengrove
Former Member
Message 20 of 109

Jump to solution

A regular port. Comcast doesn't use SSL encryption I don't think

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community