cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XPuser2008
Former Member
Message 1 of 11

Spamkiller toolbar problems in Outlook XP (Outlook 2002)

I've seen threads similar to this but not quite the same (e.g. solving spam killer toolbar problems in newer versions of Outlook). In my Outlook XP the spam killer toolbar has not worked properly since the September 08 update. It is never there when Outlook starts up, but sometimes appears later on (typically after I send an email).

I have received help from McAfee level 1 and 2 technical support and have spent hours on their suggested fixes (reinstalling dll files, checking if the toolbar is disabled within Outlook, reinstalling the whole of McAfee).

None of these have worked. At the outset McAfee said I should buy a newer version of Outlook. Whereas I appreciate XP is a bit long in the tooth, I have never had any problems like this with other internet security software. And buying any version of Outlook is a lot more expensive than buying different internet security software!

After being very proactive at trying to help me solve this problem (but without any success) for a couple of weeks, McAfee haven't responded to my emails on this for around 10 days now. Have they written off support for Outlook XP?

Anyone else having this problem with an ageing Outlook XP?
10 Replies
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 2 of 11

Sad

Sadly, X,null I was attacked by a McAfee tech for reporting the same thing and being upset that it didn't work.

Then, I emailed, as requested, the information they wanted. Outlook 2007 sometimes will not start and gives me the message the next time I start it that McAfee Antispam caused problems with Outlook.

The toolbar never works, and it never blocks spam.

McAfee, I've been kind and patient. It seems as if you will need to give partial refunds rather than making us wait a year. We paid for a package, and the package includes the Antispam functionality.

I'm so disappointed and disheartened. You guys have such a better reputation than this. It is actually confusing to me why no one is doing anything other than making excuses and saying there is nothing you can do. If that's true, please give me a partial refund asap.
matrixluke
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

RE: Spamkiller toolbar problems in Outlook XP (Outlook 2002)

FRom your post I believe you are using Outlook 2007. Could you please let us know the exact error that you get when you try tp open Outlook.

Normally Outlook2007 updates may disables its addins ( including Spam Killer tool bar addin), so we may have to reenable to inroder to avoid getting errors when you open Outlook.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 11

RE: Sad

Hi..

are you still getting any Blue screen ...?

i think I remember that you had one earlier?

what exactly happens now?

happy
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 5 of 11

Thanks for the quick response

No more blue screen. It was a conflict fixed by my IT guys.

1. The AntiSpam 10 add in causes Outlook 2007 to crash, fail to start, etc. That specific error shows when you are forced to restart Outlook 2007. A message comes up asking if you specifically want to disable the McAfee AS add in as it is causing failures and instability and caused the recent crash.

2. In any folder, any mailbox, any screen, etc. the AntiSpam toolbar fails to function. Inbox, doesn't matter which. None of the buttons work, no SPAM folder is ever created, can't add any sender to SPAM, etc. Nothing.
vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 11

RE: Thanks for the quick response

Hmm but it works on most machines I have seen....

could you throw some light on the type of machine they are?
XPuser2008
Former Member
Message 7 of 11

If I check Microsoft Update and look under my "update history" for their latest patch for Outlook XP/2002, I only need to go back to 15 October 2008. So it is clear to me that Microsoft is still actively supporting the product, whereas McAfee is not. Other users beware, that they'll lose McAfee support long before they'll lose Microsoft support!
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 8 of 11

vinod_r2:

It is on all of my machines. I run Office 2007 (and, thus, Outlook 2007) on 3 of my office machines. All are HP, all with 8G RAM, plenty of processor and performance. 2 are running Windows Vista Ultimate 64x, 1 is running Vista Home 64x. Yours is the only antivirus, etc. on any of these systems- you will see I had corporate accounts with you before you were even popular.

This is the first serious group of issues I've ever had with you, except for many, many years ago. All of the machines are HP, and I have the full package of McAfee Security Center. Interestingly, in addition to the Spam issue, we've been having the "Verify Subscription" issue, where it gets verified but still says it needs to be fixed. I've run all the fixes in your support forums, and the issue just shows back up. Also, interestingly, the password vault only shows on one of the 3 machines. We have uninstalled, reinstalled all exactly in the same manner.

But, the most important issue for now are the AntiSpam issues as listed above. I'm certain that if it's on all of our machines, there are others out there with the same problems. I'd be glad to have your folks call (email me to keep number confidential and set up a time) and learn from our situation so you can fix it.
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 9 of 11

Is anyone going to respond? Just curious if you guys are actually working on the issue or not. I've offered to work with your techs to sort this out. Since it happens on all of my machines running Outlook 2007 I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one with the issue.
COLDZERO
Former Member
Message 10 of 11

Just like the last time

This is what you folks did to us the last time, and then I got nasty-grams from you for being upset about it.

I can't even seem to get a response. I have returned your emails with everything you've requested. I have responded to your posts as you've requested. I have offered to speak with you directly.

I am at a loss as to why an orgazination with your quality reputation is so unresponsive. What are my options at this point? Charge back the charges? Use Norton from here on out? And, please save the nasty posts and emails. We're not in the wrong here.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community