cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
igeh007
Former Member
Message 11 of 12

Re: McAfee support for IMAP accounts with Outlook 2013?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I was just looking around and noticed this. There's actually a good reason for why IMAP can't be supported. Every consumer antivirus software and all of its features are designed to protect a computer locally, meaning only the files itself that are within the computer are the ones that the security software can detect and manage. Now from my understanding, IMAP is a protocol wherein your email are only viewed from an email server (in a remote location) through your computer. Therefore, the antispam can't move the emails directly since the emails aren't really in your computer in the first place. For the antispam to do this, it is required that the program be installed in the email server itself. Now for POP I think the emails itself are downloaded to your computer's hard drvie from the email server so in that way, the antispam can move the messages around. I hope this helps!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 12

Re: McAfee support for IMAP accounts with Outlook 2013?

Jump to solution

An excellent explanation.  Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community