cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billd
Former Member
Message 1 of 20

McAfee Anti-Spam and Thunderbird 5.0

Hi -- I am using McAfee Security 3.3.1.133, Windows 7 and Thunderbird 5.0 email.  When I upgraded to Thunderbird 5.0 email (I ran an earlier version of Thunderbird with no McAfee problems), my McAfee Anti-Spam stopped working, i.e. all spam now goes to my inbox -- very annoying.  Does anyone recognize the issue ?  Is it a known problem ?

Please note this is the only place I could find where I could successfully pose a question.  The the McAfee Online Support Technician software wouldn't initialize -- I let it run for 20 minutes before I stopped.  And, I tried downloading the McAfee Online Support Technician several times with no success.

Thanks for any help you can lend ... Bill

19 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 20

Re: McAfee Anti-Spam and Thunderbird 5.0

No solutions atm as TB has updated their program and all AVs now are playing catchup.

Thunderbird 5.0 is not presently supported in the current production version.

It will be supported in next version and consequently will be part of the Beta program release which is planned in the end of summer.

We are also working on back-porting this new functionality into the current version, and are planning to release it in August.

More info is in our FAQ - Anti-Spam will not load on Thunderbird 5

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 22/07/11 7:09:11 PM
cactus73
Former Member
Message 3 of 20

As of August 24, Anti-Spam still doesn't work with Thunderbird. I've gone from Thunderbird 5 to Thunderbird 6 but McAfee still hasn't released a new version of Anti-Spam. Is there a project timeline on this?

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 20

McAfee is working on an updated version of the McAfee Anti-Spam plugin to accommodate the changes made in Thunderbird 5. The redesigned Anti-Spam architecture should accommodate Thunderbird 5 and future versions unless Mozilla makes major unexpected changes to the Thunderbird architecture.

Until this update is released, McAfee offers the recommendations below:

• Downgrade to a previous version of Thunderbird in to allow McAfee Anti-Spam to function correctely
  • Temporarily use another supported email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.

No timeline that I see I will ask next Moderator meeting

acegrep
Former Member
Message 5 of 20

Thunderbird 5.0, McAfee Anti-Spam plug-in not compatible

Thunderbird 6.0, McAfee Anti-Spam plug-in not compatible

Thunderbird 2 --- McAfee 0

Release schedule would be nice

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 20

Thunderbird 3 it works  doesn't it?

As I said will ask next  Monday's meeting

dms26
Contributor III
Message 7 of 20

Any idea when the compatability issue will be resolved??  I llike Thunderbird, there is no Outlook Express in Windows 7 , I do not like Windows Mail and I refuse to buy Outlook.  The only other option is to cancel McAfee and buy different security software that is compatible with Thunderbird.

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 20

There will be a fix soon but I have no date yet sorry. I asked re this last week and got that reply.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 20

I just got word that the update for the TB toolbar is in QA now, so it shouldn't be long now - perhaps as early as next week.

FWIW, I'm hoping we can have a hotfix type of patch that we can get to you guys directly so you don't have to wait to receive the update in the automated release cycle.

dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 20

We have a fix for this issue for Anti-Spam 12.x (the 2011 version).

I'm getting it posted to http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/TBupdate.exe - it will probably be live by Monday.

Here are the steps to run it:

If the Thunderbird option is checked in the Anti-Spam toolbar menu, download and run the new Thunderbird toolbar patch

- note that is patch only works on the 2011 version of Anti-Spam

1. Download the patch from http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/TBupdate.exe and choose Save (not Run) when prompted
  2. Shutdown Thunderbird
  3. Turn off Access Protection
  4. Run downloaded patch As Administrator
  5. Turn Access Protection back on
  6. Make sure TB plug-in is enabled under Anti-Spam toolbar drawer
  7. Restart Thunderbird
  8. Look for McAfee Anti-Spam toolbar

I'm also updating FAQ number TS101095 (McAfee Anti-Spam toolbar is missing after upgrading Thunderbird) with this same info.

Message was edited by: Steerpike_ca on 26/09/11 10:30:04 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community