Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neillo
Contributor III
Message 1 of 11

False spam flagging

Jump to solution

For the last few weeks, all emails received from WordTips, Windows Tips, and Ask Leo have had [SPAM] at the front of the Subject line. Checking my ISP's server shows that [SPAM] must have been added on my PC, as it is not present on the server. Clicking "Mark as not Spam" in the McAfee Anti-Spam tab removes it, which suggests it was McAfee Total Protection that was responsible in the first place. The emails were not placed in the McAfee Anti-Spam folder - I assumed this was because the Rules I have set up took priority.

However, today I received an email from Ask Leo which WAS moved to the McAfee Anti-Spam folder. So when I clicked "Mark as not Spam", it was moved to my Inbox and I had to move it to my chosen folder manually. This has turned it from a mild irritation to an annoyance.

What can be causing this and is there anything I can do to stop it?

Using Outlook 2010 in Windows 7

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
neillo
Contributor III
Message 6 of 11

Re: False spam flagging

Jump to solution

I have now received several emails since I marked the "on behalf of" domains as friends and none has been marked as spam, so that's the way to do it. Thanks for your help.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Jump to solution

Have you got the "Mark as Friend" option in the Outlook toolbar that used to be in Outlook Express? If you have, that might fix it.

McAfee seems to have changed its filtering rules recently, all the newsletters I was getting from the likes of ComputerWorld were arriving with either a [SPAM] or [PHISH] prefix and I had to mark them as "Not Spam". Eventually, doing that will teach the Anti-Spam program not to flag a sender, but it takes a while.

neillo
Contributor III
Message 3 of 11

Jump to solution

Thanks for that. I hadn't noticed that one. I've now clicked "Add Friend" for the last email from each of WordTips, Windows Tips, and Ask Leo and will have to wait and see if it has any effect.

neillo
Contributor III
Message 4 of 11

Jump to solution

Today, I received an email from WordTips and it was still flagged as spam. However, I still think you may have put me on the right track.

I found out how to view the friends list and was surprised to see that WordTips was missing, although Ask Leo and Windows Tips were there. So I went back to the most recent WordTips email and clicked on "Add Friend". When I viewed the friends list again, WordTips was there but Windows Tips was missing!

It was then that I realised that Windows Tips and WordTips had identical email addresses. If McAfee is checking the name as well as the email address, it would appear to be impossible to mark them both as friends. The solution (I hope) is to manually set up the entire domain as a friend, which I think I have now done. I only THINK I have done it as they are sent from one domain (send.aweber.com) on behalf of another - I have marked send.aweber.com as the friend.

I noticed that the Ask Leo newsletter also comes from send.aweber.com on behalf of Leo's address.

I will know in a few days whether this has worked. If not, I'll have to mark the "on behalf of" domains as friends.

neillo
Contributor III
Message 5 of 11

Jump to solution

Well that didn't work!

So now I have marked the "on behalf of" domain as a friend.

Oddly, although I have set it to mark the entire domain as a friend, it still insists on my entering a name. And it won't allow me to precede the domain name with @ despite the instructions saying it should be.

I'll just have to keep trying.

neillo
Contributor III
Message 6 of 11

Jump to solution

I have now received several emails since I marked the "on behalf of" domains as friends and none has been marked as spam, so that's the way to do it. Thanks for your help.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 11

Jump to solution

​,

So can we consider this thread as 'Correctly Answered'?

Glad that your issue is resolved.

Regards,

Cliff

Consumer Products Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
neillo
Contributor III
Message 8 of 11

Jump to solution

Yes, I see you already have marked it as such. It just didn't feel right marking my own message!

Regards,

Neil

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 11

Jump to solution

LOL...Thanks That is why I went and did so myself.

All the Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Jump to solution

'twas a moment of inspiration. I'm glad it fixed it for you.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community