Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dms26
Contributor III
Message 1 of 8

Can Not Import Address Book

Jump to solution

I wound up doing a clean install of Total Protection after the Anti Spam add-on would not work with Thunderbird.  I put all my contacts in the default address book, "Personal Address Book".  When I tried to import, I got the message that I was trying to import and empty address book.  I then put 1 contact in each of the different address books.  I figured the one it saw would be the one to use.  I still keep getting a message saying I am trying to import an empty address book.  I am trying to import 306 contacts.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dominic

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dms26
Contributor III
Message 7 of 8

Re: Can Not Import Address Book

Jump to solution

I have fixed this problem.  It is a Thunderbird issue.  In Thunderbird you can click Help > Troubleshoot Information.  This opens a page with all sorts of technical information.  Under profile folder I clicked "show folder".  This opens the location of the folder with your email profile (random letters and numbers).  Turns out it shows me having two Thunderbird  profiles and McAfee was looking in the profile with the empty address book.  A quick copy and paste caused everything to import.  It is still causing a problem because nothing is being filtered and I have it set to restricted.  Again, it something with the 2 profiles.  This will need to be resolved as a Mozilla issue, not McAfee.  Thank you for all the help.

Dominic

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Best to call support

Support

Thunderbird and anti spam is not working happily at present though have not had your issues. Did you reinstall Anti spam and when you removed TP did you do the dual method ie use windows Programs and features reboot and run MCPR removal tool reboot and reinstall?

dms26
Contributor III
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

I did the removal of TP through the Windows control panel, deleted all "mcafee" registry entries manually then rebooted and did a fresh install.  Should I have rebooted between the control panel removal and the registry deletions?

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

That is normally suggested by the removal process plus using MCPR is a good idea as well thetechs always suggest it. Ok it might leave a registry entry of 3 but usually enough to get things working

dms26
Contributor III
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

I went back and removed TP through the control panel, rebooted, ran MCPR and rebooted.  Did a fresh install, again.  Still having the sane problem.  I decided to try importing for my wife and kids.  It worked on each of their Windows profiles.  Only on mine it will not work.  This is driving me crazy.

Peacekeeper
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Did you call support ? If they no chop ask for an escalation if still an issue I will stir up a tech to contact you.

dms26
Contributor III
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

I have fixed this problem.  It is a Thunderbird issue.  In Thunderbird you can click Help > Troubleshoot Information.  This opens a page with all sorts of technical information.  Under profile folder I clicked "show folder".  This opens the location of the folder with your email profile (random letters and numbers).  Turns out it shows me having two Thunderbird  profiles and McAfee was looking in the profile with the empty address book.  A quick copy and paste caused everything to import.  It is still causing a problem because nothing is being filtered and I have it set to restricted.  Again, it something with the 2 profiles.  This will need to be resolved as a Mozilla issue, not McAfee.  Thank you for all the help.

Dominic

Peacekeeper
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

The trouble is 1 issue we have in Anti spam is a Mozilla issue from years ago still unfixed.so this 1 might be a while

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community