cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ispalten
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

Anti-Spam V10.15.106, how should it work?

OK, I'm having a problem with the Anti-Spam, and maybe I don't understand how it works is part of the problem.

As I understand it, it will periodically go up to my POP3 Server and read messages on that server. Then, based on some criteria and rules, it will do one of three things.

1. Decide the message is OK and do nothing to it.
  2. Decide the message is either SPAM or PHISHING and place in the beginning of the message on the POP3 Server [SPAM] or [PHISH], When I retrieve my e-mail using my Thunderbird e-mail client those marked messages will go into the McAfee spam folder.
  3. Decide the message is a problem and should NOT be taken down to my computer via my e-mail client. It removes the message from the POP3 server and places it on my hard disk controlling the access with McAfee.

Now assuming the above is correct, I really have no problems with 1 or 2? Well, actually, in the first case a message goes to my INBOX, and I can using the Anti-Spam toolbar buttong call something a FRIEND and it updates the FRIENDS list, however, calling it SPAM only moves it to the SPAM folder, and from what I can tell, does NOT update a rule or list to no longer allow these into my INBOX? Maybe I'm wrong here, but...

Three is a MAJOR problem to me. For a few reasons :

• When I look at the REPORTS and FILTERED WEBMAIL I don't know WHY the message got there?
  • If in there, I can NOT recover the file to my INBOX? I can VIEW it, EXPORT it hard disk as an EML file, or DELETE it. However I can't even tell McAfee this one was GOOD? Why not? Why not allow me to RECOVER the file and get it into my INBOX if I think it was good? I've had some very IMPORTANT messages go in there. About all I can do is TYPE in the sending e-mail Address into the FRIENDS list (it will NOT accept PASTE?) and HOPE the next one doesn't get in there. Speaking of which, it can't be the e-mail address alone either? I've had ones go in there that the same e-mail address (exactly the same) as ones that have gone into my INBOX before?
  • I don't know how it was determined to be 'bad'? What are the rules for this?

Am I wrong? Is there something I'm missing so it WILL work as I want it too? Is there a way to make suggestions to McAfee on this?

Irv S.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community