Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fortuna
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Anti-Spam Toolbar Missing in Windows Mail & Thunderbird

Hi, I am running Windows 8 on new computer with McAfee Security Center.   I have anti-spam email  turned on yet there is no McAfee anti-spam toolbar visible on Windows Mail.  I also checked out ThunderBird and had same results.   I followed the instructions found on McAfee TS101102 and had no success.  I opened up service request 989092027 yesterday & I contacted McAfee technical support today.  A technician worked on the problem a good 3 plus hours without success.  Technician just went away while viewing my computer without saying a word or finding a resolution  -- normal customer support for McAfee?   Maybe they think the problem or perhaps the customer will just go away. 

Does anyone know of a permanent resolution for this problem?    I have software that says I have anti-spam email turned on but it really doesn't exist. 

Thanks....Dave

8 Replies

Re: Anti-Spam Toolbar Missing in Windows Mail & Thunderbird

Firstly what version of Mcafee are you using?

How are you getting windows mail to work on windows 8? In win7 you had to copy the old vista files across and do a "hack" that was on teh seven forums. This is how I use it and anti spam though there is not working correctlyin win 7 as it really I feel only works on windows mail that is pristine not amended. In win 7 the spam toolbar is there but buttons do not work and missing a lot of spam recently. re tunderbidr it was working what version of TB are you running. i know our tech contact uses it so will ask him what his home PC is doing whwn u reply.

I wonder if this could be the issue. Also post your version of security Centre?

I will also ask our contacts but first will await your answer.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/12/12 8:01:22 PM

Moved this to Anti-Spam.

I have Windows 8 here as part of a multi-boot Vista/7 and 8 arrangement, and to get Windows Mail to work in 8 involves a hack in which A/S may only partially work or may not work at all depending on how well the hack was done.  As Windows Mail is only supported in Vista there are no guarantees for other systems no matter how it's installed.

According to Mozilla's website Thunderbird is compatible with Windows 7 maximum at present, so again, nothing is guaranteed - it may or may not work.   Windows 8 doesn't seem to be a high priority for them in regards to Thunderbird.  Best ask about that on their forums.

As far as the Mail App is concerned, that involves the Cloud so A/S wont work with that anyway.  Also Windows Live Mail was never supported.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/12/12 7:58:50 EST AM
fortuna
Level 7
Message 4 of 9

Using McAfee Security version 11.6, build 11.6.435; McAfee Anti-Spam version 12.6,build 12.6.144.  

I got Windows Live Mail to work by just downloading and installing.

ThunderBird is version 17.0 which is the most current.  Just checked and I have no McAfee anti-spam toolbar.

This is a new comnputer with Windows 8 pre-loaded - not an upgrade.

Dave

fortuna
Level 7
Message 5 of 9

This is a new computer with Windows 8 pre-loaded.  I am using Windows Live Mail & just downloaded & installed without any problems with the exception of no McAfee anti-spam toolbar.

Dave

The current WLM will no doubt work on 8 but Microsoft is discontinuing it eventually in favour of the Mail App built in to 8. (They are actually discontinuing the 'Live' brand altogether).  Anti-Spam has never supported WLM anyway and never will now that it's on the way out and they don't support the Mail App-based mail either.   Now if they ever will is another story which I don't know the answer to I'm afraid.

Sorry for the bad news ;-/

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/12/12 9:07:02 EST AM
fortuna
Level 7
Message 7 of 9

Interesting since I mispoke in a previous reply by saying I installed  Windows LIve Mail.  .   I purchased a new computer with Windows 8 & Windows Live Mail was already installed.and as an APP to boot so they are still bundling Windows Live Mail with Windows 8. 

Not bad news for me.  McAfee came free of charge with a free 15 month subscription with the new computer.  I was using Kasperky Pure 2.0 but parts of it were not compatible with Windows 8 so I uninstalled it & installed McAfee until I heard back from Kasperky.  I received an email from Kaspersky this morning and I received free of charge the  2013 Kaspersky Internet Security which is compatible with Windows 8 and they also extended my subscription by 3 months for my trouble.  So I ended up removing McAfee using the McAfee removal tool, executed the Kasperky removal tool incase any parts of Kaspersky Pure 2.0 were still around, and installed the new 2013 Kaspersky Internet Security.

Now I will be switching from WIndows Live Mail to ThunderBird.

All problems solved.

Dave

OK. Well good luck.

So its Anti spam feature works in TB in win 8? Just interested in knowning.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community