Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MagicBob58
Contributor II
Message 1 of 15

Taskbar icon is gone

Jump to solution

I am using McAfee Total Protection on Windows 10 V22H2.  The last couple of days I have not seen a McAfee icon on my taskbar. The icon is selected in the task bar settings. This used to happen once in a while, but it would eventually show up. There was a McAfee update a few days ago and I have not seen it since. McAfee Total Protection version is 1.9.214, Release 16.0.R109, date 5/26/2023.

I believe McAfee is running fine, but seeing the icon is very reassuring.

Thank you,

Bob

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Re: Taskbar icon is gone

Jump to solution

Hello,

i received version R109 yesterday.

if i look at the taskbar and go to the ^ icon and click there i see the mcafee icon still

if i click on the mcafee icon or right click i am seeing the different menu options.

is this what you mean perhaps ?

if so and you don't have this than someting went wrong with the update proces probably.

perhaps when you receive next version update this corrects itself................

View solution in original post

14 Replies
GaneshR
Message 2 of 15

Jump to solution

Hi @MagicBob58 

Greetings from McAfee!!1

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. In the recent updates, McAfee has changed few setting for enhancing user experience.  Your devices are secured and McAfee is working as expected.

Alternatively, you can reach McAfee consumer support for any queries.

McAfee Consumer Support

Regards

Ganesh Raju R

MagicBob58
Contributor II
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

Thank you GaneshR, for your response.

For many years I worked for a very large computer manufacturer in the customer service department assigned to a very large customer. Many times, when the operating system or other software systems were updated, features were added, modified, or removed. This almost always caused much frustration with our customers, especially when a feature was removed that they considered essential to their operation.

Now I fully understand the frustration the customers felt. Taking away the McAfee icon from the notification area of the taskbar is one of these feature updates that removed a tool that I used several times a day. Being able to click on the icon to get a menu is very important to me. For instance, when I power up my PC, one of the first things I do is click on the icon to check for updates even though I have auto updates set. I do not want to wait until McAfee gets around to checking for updates on its own schedule, which could be hours away. Another is when I have a scan running; having the icon present makes it easy to check on the scan process in short order.

I would like to see the icon returned to the notification of the taskbar. Or at least some way to access the menus that were available by clicking on the icon.

Thank you,

Bob

thrufaithalone
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

You can still add it to the taskbar by right clicking on McAfee on the start list. It will provide an option to add it to start and taskbar.  

MagicBob58
Contributor II
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

I know how to add an icon to the taskbar. In my original post I really meant that I missed the McAfee icon in the notification area of the taskbar so I can click on it and get the menu. This does not work if it is not in the notification area of the taskbar. I have already tried it.

Thank you,

Bob

cyberdude
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

Hello,

i received version R109 yesterday.

if i look at the taskbar and go to the ^ icon and click there i see the mcafee icon still

if i click on the mcafee icon or right click i am seeing the different menu options.

is this what you mean perhaps ?

if so and you don't have this than someting went wrong with the update proces probably.

perhaps when you receive next version update this corrects itself................

MagicBob58
Contributor II
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution

I don't know why, but the McAfee icon is now in the notification of the taskbar. Perhaps because a small update was applied this morning. I just chock it up to computer magic. Either way I am happy it is back. Thanks to all who responded to my question. I really appreciate your efforts. 

Bob

countrygirl312
Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

How to change the setting for the McAfee Icon which is hidden now. 

I don't want it hidden. 

CraigSchmugar
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

There isn't a setting to hide the icon. Earlier versions of the product had an issue where it was not visible.  As a temporary workaround, a reboot would usually bring the icon back. The latest product release addresses the issue, which is in the process of being rolled out to all customers.

If the issue is not resolved by running a product update (from the main ui, click the ? in the lower left, then Update App), you're likely in the queue to receive the latest version and a reboot should bring the icon back.

countrygirl312
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

I shut down my laptop every evening. I start it up in the morning. 

It has not been showing.

It disappeared (went into hiding ) with the last update. 

Before, the update it was always showing. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community