cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stray-cat
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Server Location?

I'd like to know on which server my onlince account is stored? And secondly, from where are the daily updates being downloaded? Is it locally or from the HQ in CA? Thanks for your help.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Server Location?

I think somewhere in Europe but where exactly they don't tell us, UK or Eire perhaps.   They vary depending on the user's location.

stray-cat
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

OK, sounds like there's one in my location. Thanks for your help. By the way, done a complete new installation of McAfee the other day and the updates work perfectly again, including the pop up. Could have been because the first time I installed it I didn't remove the old version of McAfee first. It could be my imagination but it seems like the computer is a tick faster than before.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 6

The "Location" field in stray-cat's profile says Germany, so the servers delivering the usual downloads to him from McAfee will be part of the European Akamai network, just as they are for me. The actual server location could, of course, be anywhere - I've seen France, Switzerland and Germany all listed on the geolocation maps.

http://uk.akamai.com/html/technology/index.html

http://uk.akamai.com/html/customers/customer_list.html

Akamai are very informative about their operations and very-nearly-almost-certainly probably aren't being hacked by the NSA or GCHQ. Unless they are and aren't permitted to tell us about it

Other downloads - Stinger, GetSusp, MVT - used to come from the US but now could be delivered either from there or from a European server. For instance, the following URL maps to a server in the Netherlands (94.127.72.129, Amsterdam)

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/virtual-technician.aspx

and WhoIs shows the following list of NameServers

Name Server.......... USC3.AKAM.NET

Name Server.......... NS-A.MCAFEE.COM

Name Server.......... USW4.AKAM.NET

Name Server.......... USE4.AKAM.NET

Name Server.......... USW5.AKAM.NET

Name Server.......... NS-B.MCAFEE.COM

Name Server.......... NS1-2.AKAM.NET

All McAfee account details are held on the main servers at Santa Clara, as far as I know.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 6

That's good.   I usually clean out the old version before putting in the new.

Server locations get rather confusing as update servers are dotted around the globe, McAfee HQ is in California with branches elsewhere, Texas and Canada for instance, and the Labs that deal with infections are in the British Isles, then support is dotted around everywhere but the main one is in India.  All very complicated.

It's a huge company, you can get some idea of that by clicking the country list in the 'Contact Us' link at the bottom of this and any other web page,

stray-cat
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Hey Hayton, you're flooding me with information here! But seriously, thanks for your reply. The main reason I was asking was because of the updates, and whether that would have had an impact on the speed and intervals of the updates if they were coming from Santa Clara, CA. The other reason was, as you detected in my question, for security purposes. I know there are McAfee offices here in Germany, three I think, and I was wondering if everything was stored (account) or downloaded (updates) from them. Now I know the answer. Thanks again, and have a good evening.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community