cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
betphil
Former Member
Message 1 of 1

Do the marketing and customer satisfaction departments talk to each other?

How on earth can McAfee get it so very wrong with regard to customer satisfaction?

I had a bad experience when a McAfee update screwed up both of my computers, landing me with black screens on each.  I had to keep rolling back to a restore point and then put the computers into sleep rather than shut down because if I did McAfee would update at start up and screw me again.

Dealing with McAfee's agents was frustrating. It took a lot of calls to fix and because of the time required for the suggested uninstalls and re-boots, I dealt with different agents. It was patently obvious that there was zero continuity of service. Each agent would go over the same script and through the same tired 'fixes'. It was finally escalated and it got fixed. It took over a week though.

So when I received the McAfee renewal letter telling that me my card was out of date and exhorted me to update it, all I did was to go into my area on McAfee and make sure that auto renewal was set to off. I definitely checked that I would not be auto renewed and waited for my subscription to near expiration whereupon I would install a different anti virus.

Two days ago I received an email;

Your McAfee® subscription has been successfully renewed using the payment information on file.

What! I know I checked the auto-renewal was off....but....here is the worst bit. I was charged £64.99.

It's only £29.99 online at the official McAfee website, so a 'walk up user' gets a better deal that an existing customer. Duhh!

I rang the customer line and to be semi-fair, the agent cancelled the subscription immediately. I guess that the agent had been instructed not to argue because there was no demurring whatsoever. I now have some emails telling me that this has been done, although it may take 5 to 10 days for the refund to reach my card account. Another question would be why does it take so long but I'll let that go for now.

Back to the auto-renewal. I know that I checked my settings but apparently buried somewhere else is a trigger called 'Always On'. Now I am not an expert on the McAfee website but equally I am not stupid. So it looks like sharp practice to me.

Anyway in the cancellation emails is a web link to a renewal site, should I change my mind. Purely out of interest I clicked on it. Apparently I can get a discount to bring the £64.99 down to £40.00. A quick check online shows it still at £29.99 for a walk up user.

What a bunch of idiots.

Goodbye McAfee.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community