cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 91 of 365

Re: McAfee Service Host Problem

As an extra can those still having the issue post any non standard pprograms they are running in the program's list. I have an XP test box and can install any these I can get my hands on to try to repro this issue.

My Xp box stable never sees those errors.

pusaqall
Contributor
Message 92 of 365

Do you think this type of problem depends on what type of OS you are using to run it?

Peacekeeper
Message 93 of 365

I have mentioned  previously that XP seems to be the common OS. I checked all posts in all Mcsvhost threads and dropped out those fixed by netguard disabling and alcohol 120% clashing and all, bar 1, ( and his is not same issue I feel ) are on XP.

That is why I have a clean XP test Pc waiting for someone to list their installed PCs so I can compare programs between a few of the posters here and see if another program is clashing.

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 94 of 365

I have been experiencing the svchost pop-up for months. I followed quite a few of the suggestions here to fix the problem. Some seemed to work for a week or so but the problem always returned. Three weeks ago I uninstalled McAfee SiteAdvisor. No more pop-ups since.

OS Win XP Professional SP3

IE 8.0

McAfee Security Center 11.0

McAfee Virus Scan 15.0

McAfee Personal Firewall 12.0

One solution that seems to work.

puddleducknz
Former Member
Message 95 of 365

Can you tell me how to do this, I have no idea,  we are still getting all sorts of pop up messages and slow running around scan times.

Our subscription is up for renewal and I'm afarid to say its not looking like we will do another year with McAfee.

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 96 of 365

Go to the Control Panel to Add/Remove programs and click on it. Find McAfee Antivirus and click on it. You should see an option to Change/Remove. Click on that and you should see a menu listing the components you can change or remove. In my case I cheched SiteAdvisor and removed it. The rest of the McAfee program components will not be changed or removed.

Good luck!

Peacekeeper
Message 97 of 365

Of interest is what was the version of SA. A reinstall might bring a new version that does not have this issue. I had heard SA and netguard have similiar web site checking the newer SA version should be worth a try.

jlcavor
Former Member
Message 98 of 365

I mentioned that my solution was to remove SA. Prior to doing that, I did a reinstall of the most recent version of SA from the McAfee site. It was a newer version than the version it replaced on my computer. That reinstall worked for about a week before the error messages started popping up again. Maybe I should have removed the old version before updating. Any way, I didn't use SA that much so I will stay with the SA removal option that continues to work for me.

Peacekeeper
Message 99 of 365

Ok thanks for the update

tanseras
Former Member
Message 100 of 365

I am having the same problems since November/December 2011. First the notice appears in a frame:

McAfee Service Host has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The details are shown as:

Error signature

szAppName : McSvHost.exe    szAppVer : 2.0.230.0    szModName : unknown    

szModVer : 0.0.0.0     offset :03cb2c52    

The following files will be included in this report

C:\DOCUME~1\Baba\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER02ec.dir00\McSvHost.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Baba\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER02ec.dir00\appcompat.txt

The firewall sometimes closes, sometimes stays intact. I t happens about every 30-40 minutes as long as I keep working. It prompts me to report it to Microsoft everytime, which I do. But no one seems to care. It is a nuisance. I am worried that I may have a bug somewhere and one day it will give me a bigger problem.

Using Windows XP, Chrome browser.

Message was edited by: tanseras on 2/19/12 3:52:02 AM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community