Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
keelan454
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Cannot verify site ownership

I own habbohub.com and cannot verify the site just gives me:

We cannot verify a Web site that is configured this way because it allows anyone to verify themselves as the owner of your site. Please update your Web site server configuration to return 404 status codes in the headers for pages that do not exist. Once your site is configured this way then you can return and request a file name verification.

I am not sure how to fix this. My site has a red X and i am not sure why and i want to fix it but i cannot even get passed verifying my website.

6 Replies
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Cannot verify site ownership

This has come up a few times and the best I can tell you is that "a blank verification file (name unknown) has to be downloaded (from somewhere) and placed in the root directory of the server". That is from a reply I gave in a thread some months ago. I never did find out what the name of the file is or where it has to come from (someone who was asking about verification found it but didn't spread the news around). You now have a clue, but not an answer - but it's the best I can do. Sorry.

keelan454
Former Member
Message 3 of 7

Ye i know exactly what i have to do, i just cannot do it. It doesn;t allow me to create this file but does with all my other domains its strange. My host cannot figure it out my registra cannot figure it out. Now my site sits with a warning which is false and i cannot do anything about it. Awesome Mcafee

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 7

A little background research in the WordPress Forums has produced something which might help you here. Let me know if it's useful so I can bookmark it for the future.

From http://wordpress.org/support/topic/404-status-code-needed-on-header-page-for-mcafee :

WordPress › Support » 404 Status code needed on header page for Mcafee.png

The download address for CURL is http://curl.haxx.se/download.html

Message was edited by: Hayton on 18/10/11 23:21:38 IST
keelan454
Former Member
Message 5 of 7

I figured it out eventually i just moved the contents of my site into a folder so nothing was in the root and tried it and it worked.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Well, at least that tells me something I didn't know. This question does get asked quite regularly (and not just here. That WordPress forum has a number of requests for information about the 404 code and how to return it). I'll keep this bookmarked anyway and your advice will be tried out on the next poster ....

keelan454
Former Member
Message 7 of 7

Ye well i think the problem is wordpress, joomla etc all have their own 404 handling and the verification process on siteadvisor, but the verification process shouldn't do this. Google simply generates a rando file for you and you upload it, if you didn't have ownership or whatever you wouldnt be able to upload the file so i dont see why you need to have 404 headers its just causing problems.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community