Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
irish
Former Member
Message 1 of 16

Quarantine load issue?

Jump to solution

Hi,

First off, I'm running Windows Vista OS, using what I assume is the newer version of Mcafee. My issue is this, since the update to this newer version of Mcafee I havent' been able to access my quarantine. I know how to find the quarantine, however, when I attempt to access it the folder fails to load. It simply continues endlessly with the loading icon. How can fix this issue? I highly doubt is my computer at large since the "trusted items" folder loads but not either the "quarantined items" or the "quarantined potentially unwanted programs" folders load. Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Re: Quarantine load issue?

Jump to solution

It should eventually load, however if it's very large it could take ages.   You could try emptying it from within Windows Explorer.

First double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Acess Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

That should stop the endless spinning when you try to open that section of SecurityCenter.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Unless you want to check Quarantined and Trusted Items again to see if that has improved matters of course.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/11/10 6:40:44 CST AM

View solution in original post

15 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 16

Jump to solution

It should eventually load, however if it's very large it could take ages.   You could try emptying it from within Windows Explorer.

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

That should stop the endless spinning when you try to open that section of SecurityCenter.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Unless you want to check Quarantined and Trusted Items again to see if that has improved matters of course.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/11/10 6:40:44 CST AM
irish
Former Member
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

Wow thanks, it was very full, which seems a bit strange but thank you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution

You're welcome. 😉

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 16

Jump to solution

By the way the vast majority of items that end up there are simple cookies and you may wish to tell VirusScan to ignore those in future.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Virus and Spyware Protection

Click Real Time Scanning

Go down and uncheck the Tracking Cookies.

Click Apply.

It's optional of course.

GNinja
Former Member
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

I Am having the exact same problem as Irish is having however I am running on a Window XP version, Just wondering how I can get my quarantined files to load because I have let it run for a half an hour and it still just has the loading bar running.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

Well it may be so full that you need to manually empty as per my first response above.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

Sorry - you are using XP so the path is different from what I posted above

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine

To see that folder you will have to go to any Windows Explorer (internal) page (example: My Computer) and go to Tools/Folder Options/View and check 'Show hidden files and folders' and click Apply and OK.

Close and reopen Windows Explorer for that to take effect.

Don't forget to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Hint to make it quick click the Edit button and then "Select All"

Then right click any of the shaded area and click Shift and Delete simultaneously.

OK any prompts and although it may take some time it will eventually delete them all completely, bypassing the Recycle Bin.

Some may not go so you may have to experiment with blocks of a fewer amount but if you disable Access Protection first they should all be deletable at once..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/01/11 4:20:18 EST PM
GNinja
Former Member
Message 9 of 16

Jump to solution

An Error Message Pops up saying "Cannot Delete__________" Access is Denied" Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

If you disabled Access Protection as per above it shouldn't do that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community