Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evers
Former Member
Message 1 of 7

Unable to use Windows Vista after updating the DAT file

Hi all,

Yesterday evening my McAfee Virus Scanner has been updating on my home computer.

It requested to restart the computer, so we did.

Just a few minutes after having the system running again, beinig busy with an email, I got blue screen.

Eversince I have had it about 30 times till now.

Be surprised: I am using Vista Home Premium SP2. The current DAT version is 5960 and the svchost.exe file is stil there where it belongs.

The update went via 5958.dat

What is happening!!! And what can be done about it.

The time of creation of the new DAT files and directories, matches the time of creation of my first minidump.

Please can anybody help me out with this?

Message was edited by: evers on 4/23/10 12:39:00 PM CDT
6 Replies
evers
Former Member
Message 2 of 7

Re: Unable to use Windows Vista after updating the DAT file

Would a system restore help?

Message was edited by: evers on 4/23/10 12:40:05 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

Evers,

You say you got a blue screen. Is this the legendary blue screen of death? (blue with white letters all over giving you system dump information) or just a blue screen?

evers
Former Member
Message 4 of 7

It is a blue screen with white letters saying the computer stopped for some reason and it is creating a memory dump (minidump). After that it restarts.

See attached photo.

Message was edited by: evers on 4/23/10 1:30:19 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7

Does this happen almost immediately upon powering up? Or can you boot to safe mode?

evers
Former Member
Message 6 of 7

It varies. Some times it happens within a minute or 2 and yesterday evening I could use the computer for 30 minutes or so. It looks like it is happening faster today. I am now realy not able to work with my Vista computer. I have added a photo of the blue screen above.

Yes I can start in safe mode. And what should I do then?

Message was edited by: evers on 4/23/10 1:37:43 PM CDT
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 7

Ok evers, couple things.

1) This was not caused by the dat. It's far more likely this was a software update.

2) the errors you're getting in that dump file point to 2 things: Hardware failure or a "kernel trap."

The English version, there's a problem with a kernel (core system) level driver on your computer. I've gotten hold of a Tier 3 agent that would like to work on your computer. Can you please reply to my private message with your contact information?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community