Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cghost98
Former Member
Message 1 of 40

Slow Network Transfers - Windows 7 & MTP2010

Hi All,

I was a happy McAfee Total Protection 2009 users on WindowsXP with no issues. I went to Windows 7 x64 and installed MTP2010 Beta with some success (as 2009 is not compatible with Win7.) I found that when I installed the BETA version of 2010 my network transfers slooooowwed right down. I'm talking getting 50KB/s MAX over a 100MB link. So I uninstalled 2010 beta thinking that it will be picked up in the full release.

Note: after uninstalling BETA, my LAN transfer speeds returned to normal.)

Now that 2010 is at a full release, I uninstalled the rival product I had installed and installed 2010.

Same thing is happening - slow LAN transfer speeds. Again topping off at 50KB/s - no more.

What's interesting, I have an ADSL2+ connection and I get full internet download speeds.So why slow LAN transfers?

Note, its only UPLOAD speeds are slow on the LAN, I can pull data from my NAS box at full speed, but when I upload files from my Win7 box to the NAS box its slow.

PS. This is not my NAS box - when I don't have 2010 installed my transfers are at full speed and the previous product I had running, I had full transfer speeds.

Help?!!

Thanks in advance - Pete

39 Replies
cghost98
Former Member
Message 2 of 40

Re: Slow Network Transfers - Windows 7 & MTP2010

I've solved it.

Odd that it was McAfee MTP2010 that I had issues with.

Anyway, the problem was my onboard Realtek PCIe Gigabit NIC - I reinstallted the driver, with the last two driver versions - same issue occured.

So I installed a Netgear PCI NIC as a test (note, this one is not onboard) and problem solved. I get full upload speeds.

Go figure. Still not sure why MTP2010 has problems with the Realtek - anyway ....

-Pete

Jaffa_42
Former Member
Message 3 of 40

Same problem here - had the "old" 2010 version running, but re-imaged the pc from factory image -and the only choice on the download is the new slick looking version.

PC is an Acer Aspire X1301 - New in November, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

The NIC is onboard and part of the Nforce 8200p chipset. No alternate drivers available. Just the Windows 7 ones.

NAS writes down to around 500k - 12gb Folder estimate with 2010 installed is anything between 4 and 24 hours!!

If I deinstall 2010 it will estimate at 15 minutes - As the previous version worked with the hardware, there's really no excuse for this McAfee, so when will you be fixing it??!!

Peacekeeper
Message 4 of 40

Asking the powers that be.

Peacekeeper
Message 5 of 40

Known issue online to be bug fixed in a forthcoming update. Actual date of update not known sorry.

rejones
Contributor
Message 6 of 40

Hi There,

I have exactly the same problem myself and it is causing me huge pains transfering files on my network to my NAS and also printing large files to my network printer. As mentioned, uninstalling the McAfee TP 2010 product completely gets rid of the problem.

Any update on timescales for a fix would be greatly appreciated - otherwise I will have to look into another solution asap (like buying another piece of security software from another vendor which I do not want to do).

Thanks,

Robert

ChrisBlunt
Former Member
Message 7 of 40

I've also hit on this problem and have had to uninstall McAfee TP 2010 in order to be able to continue having access to my NAS device.

Its funny how McAfee's marketing people are so keen to tell everyone how crucially important it is to have up-to-date internet security installed on their systems, but when issues like this arise it suddenly seems fine to allow their customers go unprotected and just tell us they don't have a timescale for when a fix will be available. OK McAfee, so why did I need to purchase your product at all then?

Jaffa_42
Former Member
Message 8 of 40

Another thing I find less than confidence inspiring is that their online techies knew nothing about the problem!

Peacekeeper
Message 9 of 40

Well I do know when the patch is out but cannot pass it on. Last time the patch went over time and every1 complained. It is not long  but I do see your point re having a NAS that works.

I have passed issue up the line to ensure Chat knows of it.

ChrisBlunt
Former Member
Message 10 of 40

To be fair, I believe some of those who offer help here are volunteers, and not directly responsible for fixing things. I just want to be clear that my critical post was not directed at them and the good work they do.

One other point, it wouldn't be so bad if we were able to downgrade to the previous version of TP while we're waiting for a fix to be worked out. That way, at least our systems are still protected, even though we may not have all the latest features. To just leave customer's computers totally unprotected is totally irresponsible and quite unacceptable when we have paid good money for this service.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community