Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 11 of 230

Re: Updated "Not Protected" thread

I take it Jason is 'Brookz'.

I am always a bit hesitant about running downloaded files from fora especially if they are run as Administrator and mess with security!

If it is Bona Fide then I am happy to give it a go as I have:

What have I got to lose as my system seems to be mostly unprotected!!

I'll get back to you.

Chris

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 230

The file is a mcafee file it is legit and provided by Jason a Teir 3 tech.

It will work for some cases though on old systems it might slow the PC down somewhat. On 2-3 year old systems it should be fine. It comes with an uninstall option.

cpmdoc
Former Member
Message 13 of 230

Tried it...ran it...seemed to do the trick for a few hours but now back to the same error messages!!

Chris

Message was edited by: cpmdoc on 13/12/09 14:02:29 CST
Peacekeeper
Message 14 of 230

That is unfortunate we need more to try it though as I said it will work not for all as some might have other issues causing the error.

Will ping Jason

fwc01
Former Member
Message 15 of 230

I have a computer services business and I try to stay up to date with the malware programs.  I have been trying this software for a couple weeks and have been seeing this problem.  Now I remember why I steer folks away from McAfee, which I used over 5 years ago.  I help a lot of people who know nothing about PCs, and these messages create huge problems for them and me.  There are too many good alternatives out there to put up with this.  I am uninstalling and moving on.  BTW, I am running XP Pro and no other malware programs.

Message was edited by: fwc01 on 12/14/09 5:11:23 AM CST

Message was edited by: fwc01 on 12/14/09 5:14:00 AM CST
SeanMc98
Contributor III
Message 16 of 230

Same problems here:  appllied fix, OK for a while, then problem returned.  Fix removed, and re-boot showed the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(see attached ".doc")

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/12/09 8:48:24 EST AM
Peacekeeper
Message 17 of 230

Thanks Jason has passed it back to the developers. Will keep you updated

Peacekeeper
Message 18 of 230

Ok an addendum after our call today. Can all you including you brave 2 above when you get the popup go to the run command and type services  Post what mcafee services are stopped . This is important. Of course run it with the file uninstalled and after a reboot.

If there are stopped services the file should have automatically started them.

geoperkins
Former Member
Message 19 of 230

I arrived at this thread from my own question (see http://community.mcafee.com/message/104122 where I describe my symptoms on Vista related to a 90000ms timeout of the mcshield service terminates). There is a request in this thread to run a program (mcshieldAWS_exe.zip (30.3 K) ) posted by Brookz while logged on as an Administrator.

Brookz, I would never run a program posted to a public forum just because the person who uploaded it said "give it a go." That would be foolhardy and there are easier ways to infect my computer which (quite clearly since I am posting to this thread) is in an unprotected state. Anyone reading this thread would be advised to ignore Brookz's request.

I would like McAfee to contact me through normal channels. I would also like Brookz, if you are for real and do indeed have inside connections to McAfee, come clean with your sources and have McAfee officially post the download on their technical support website.

Thank you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 230

Brookz is a long-time senior technician employed by McAfee.  Anything he posts is safe.   McAfee doesn't contact people from posts in this forum.  You have to contact technical support chat and open a case, escalate it if necessary.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community